lee sizing dies quality control.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

lee sizing dies quality control.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I recently bought a set of Lee 6.5 creedmoor dies. I only wanted the full-length sizer really to do some comparisons with my homemade dies. I resized a once-fired Winchester case the outside of the case was horrible after running it through the die. I decided to try another make of case it was the same outcome. The die feels gritty as you are using it. The cases look like they have been scraped with a ragged edge its all around the body of the case. I inspected the internal surface of the die it looks like someone has used a boring bar with a carbide insert with the tip broken off it's a horrible mess. Never again thats me done with lee dies. I may try running a chamber reamer down it but if I am not mistaken the dies are hardened so it may damage a reamer. Nothing is ever straight forward in life. wallhead

teanews hmm whats next. A cup of tea and chill out me thinks.
Gazza

Re: lee sizing dies quality control.

#2 Post by Gazza »

Take said die back and swap it :good:
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Its not worth the hassle it took weeks to get them messing on sending them back and waiting for replacements its not worth the chew. Or the money wasted on postage etc.
Im done with Lee.
I all ways thought the internals were honed but obviously not.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

I use Lee dies in 3 calibres and have a couple in one of those calibres, can't say I have ever had a problem other than too much lube ? sounds like a bad one got through
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes, could be a bad one. I have to admit I have lots of Lee dies in various other calibers and they work OK.
I just checked the internal finish on my Redding body die there are similar machine marks but no were near the state of the Lee offering. I will just chuck it in a drawer for now and forget about it. I don't need it to hand load anyway.
My standard set up is a Redding body die with competition shell holders and L.E.Wilson bushing type neck and seating dies I make my self.

teanews hmm whats next. .338 lapua magnum this should be interesting.
andrew375

#6 Post by andrew375 »

Don't be too hard on Lee, I've had similar experiences with rcbs , Forster and Redding products. But it is a mystery how such obvious failures get past the machine operator let alone inspection!
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Do not put a chamber reamer neat a Lee Die, they have a really tough and you would just end up with a scrap reamer. My experience of Lee dies has always been good, I use them for the more cartridges I load for and for wildcat stages such as using a shortened .338LM FLS die to neck down a wildcat recently. They do machine with a decent carbide insert and once you are inside the surface they are fine so easy to shorten the length or open neck diameters.

A handy source of sacrificial dies as far as I am concerned :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Do not put a chamber reamer neat a Lee Die, they have a really tough and you would just end up with a scrap reamer. My experience of Lee dies has always been good, I use them for the more cartridges I load for and for wildcat stages such as using a shortened .338LM FLS die to neck down a wildcat recently. They do machine with a decent carbide insert and once you are inside the surface they are fine so easy to shorten the length or open neck diameters.

A handy source of sacrificial dies as far as I am concerned :)
No, I didn't intend to use a chamber reamer on it that would not be good. Luckily I don't need the die for what I want to do. But its definitely not good I tried it again tonight just to check it wasnt a fluke the cases are a mess. Horrible yuk. Worst I have ever seen. I tried three different types of brass with the same outcome.
Im just starting to load for the .338Lapua magnum