44/40 cowboy loads

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shotgun sam

44/40 cowboy loads

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

Tonight at the gun club I was asked about 44/40 ammo, they are considered getting one.
What they were wondering about is where in the UK can they buy hornady 44/40 cowboy loads.
They looked online and it seems that reloading this calibre is quite tricky so hence buying ammunition
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 44/40 cowboy loads

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/hornady-ammun ... owboy.html

I think I would be reloading for it ammo is scarce and can be expensive.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Reloading is the same as anything else essentially, with a couple of vagaries easily catered for. The main problem arises from very thin necks on the brass. Running it through a progressive or substantial bench press can lead to crushed cases. As with most of my old hyphenated calibers, I will load using a Lee hand press so I have complete control especially with the amount of force employed. I use Lyman M dies for proper neck expanding and seat and crimp in separate operations.

Yes it takes a little longer, but with factory ammo like that which Dave linked, how long have you got to go to work for to clear the £125 they want for 100 rounds of Hornady Cowboy ammo?!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

The thin brass is not a problem---it is a good feature. Neck expanding fatigues brass very quickly and causes splits and the thicker the brass the quicker this happens. Hence, the 44-40 brass lasts much longer than the 45 colt, used in many modern replicas. I bought my 1904 manufactured model '92 Winchester in the 1980s and am still using some of the brass bought with it after dozens of reloads.
I do use a "substantial bench press" and have no experience of crushing cases.
For short range gallery loads, a 200grn region bullet backed by 6 grn of Bullseye or N310 works very well.
My original rifle has quite a tight chamber and I have always resized after loading to ensure good feeding. This does slightly lift the crimp, but not as much as it would with thicker brass.
Fred
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote:https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/hornady-ammun ... owboy.html

I think I would be reloading for it ammo is scarce and can be expensive.
Yep, very few places in UK stock 44-40 ammo, and as said, its expensive, so reloading is the only viable option.

As per FredB post, we had a club member that had an early 1900's made 44-40 Winchester, and he had been reloading for this for 40+ years until age and ill health forced him to give up shooting a couple of years ago.
shotgun sam

#6 Post by shotgun sam »

Thanks everyone I will let the person know
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

Ian at ITL Shooting Supplies down in Chertsey stocks Magtech Cowboy Action 44-40 ammo, currently priced at £65/100, but that's not much use if you are in Scotland of course.... :squirrel:
fra150l

#8 Post by fra150l »

I reload 44/40 on a progressive - press and dies Hornady and no problems much same as any other.