Educate Badger: reloading dies for .338

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Educate Badger: reloading dies for .338

#1 Post by meles meles »

Oomans, we're about to start pawloading for .338 and wondered what dies we ought to be using.

Our rounds will be for long range use (1 and 2 miles at Eskdalemuir), probably 275 and 300 grain bullets, in a 32" inch Bartlein barrel propelled by RS76 or Viht 160 powder. For most of our existing rifles, predominantly WW1 and WW2 battle rifles, we use Lee dies and neck size only. With the .338 we're wanting to extract all reasonable accuracy and so are wondering if we should stick with Lee dies, upgrade to a Lyman carbide die set, or try something else. What do you suggest?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Educate Badger: reloading dies for .338

#2 Post by mag41uk »

is there such a thing as Lyman carbide dies for this calibre?
meles meles

#3 Post by meles meles »

Sort of. The Lyman die bodies are steel but have a carbide expander that slips inside the case and, well, expands it.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

meles meles wrote:Sort of. The Lyman die bodies are steel but have a carbide expander that slips inside the case and, well, expands it.
Im not sure the expanders are carbide.

Not being funny or anything but at your level of expertise I would suggest you buy a set of Lee dies if they do them in .338 and just full length resize.
Judging by your previous posts and I may be wrong you are not into serious handloading I would keep it simple.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#5 Post by glevum »

You can get Lyman Dies with carbide expander buttons.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/deluxe-3-die-rifle-sets
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

As the abominations that are expander buttons should be removed and destroyed as soon as you get any dies then it would seem a tad foolish to pay any extra for carbide ones.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

dromia wrote:As the abominations that are expander buttons should be removed and destroyed as soon as you get any dies then it would seem a tad foolish to pay any extra for carbide ones.
I agree.
meles meles

#8 Post by meles meles »

Why so? We aren't familiar with this butchery of dies.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I rarely use die sets from the big names nowadays. I don't use full-length sizing or seating dies. My reloading set up for jacketed bullets is a Reding body die with competition shell holders to set the case shoulder back.
A L.E.Wilson type neck bushing die to resize the case neck not an expander insight. Then a L.E.Wilson micrometer seating die to seat the bullet.
The L.E.Wilson dies are either bought or made by my self. I also use Leeloaders neck sizing kits but I modify them to work with my Arbor press.
All my handloading is done on my Arbor press or a Wamadet press.
I have made L.E.Wilson type dies or modified Leeloaders to suit all of my rifle calibers in either jacketed or cast bullets.

I made a set for my 6.5 Creedmoor and used them to handload ammunition for my zeroing session last weekend. I will be using them to create ammunition for this weekend.
I admit my reloading kit is not the norm but I enjoy making it adapting it and turning out ammo that just works.
I'm quite anal about measuring and weighing stuff as well. All my measuring cartridge overall length gauges. Shoulder bump gauges etc etc come from the shooting shed I don't use anybody else,s kit.