Hornady M beam scales problem.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Hornady M beam scales problem.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been handloading some 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition in readiness for getting a range day.
I made up some rounds earlier. Since then I have acquired a pukka copy of quickload. So tonight using quickload I decided to load up some more rounds. I have two Hornady M beam scales I have had them for years one of them is a calibrated scale for use with the target master trickler. Calibrated by 1066 a member of the forum.
I was also using an electronic scale to confirm my bullet weights etc.
All did not go well I dropped a charge then popped it onto the Hornady scale I check weighed it on the other scale after a couple of charges things did not look right I attempted to zero the beam scales and they would not have it at all. I spent an age trying to fathom out what was going on in desperation I swapped the pans over on the scales and low and behold they zeroed. A new one on me I didn't think swapping the pans would make that much difference.
But I'm not happy now so I will have to pull all my loads check weigh them and start again.
teanews hmm whats next.
Alpha1

Re: Hornady M beam scales problem.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Just an observation I bought some Winchester ammo out of curiosity I dismantled some of the rounds and ran the results through Quick load. Quick load tells me these rounds are dangerous and should not be used.
Interesting. I also notice that reading up on the various suggested loads and powder charges other people are using in the Creedmoor and running them in Quickload tells me that they are too hot and should not be used.
Interesting.

teanews hmm whats next dont know all very confusing at the moment but I will stick to the data and work up ignoring what everyone else is doing.
gashtyke

#3 Post by gashtyke »

Beam scale pans are normally weighted ( i.e. calibrated to the beam) . They are NOT for use on electronic scales.

Nor are they transferable between beams.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

gashtyke wrote:Beam scale pans are normally weighted ( i.e. calibrated to the beam) . They are NOT for use on electronic scales.
I didn't use them on the electronic scale.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

gashtyke wrote:Nor are they transferable between beams.
Obviously otherwise I would not have had a problem.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Also, beware Quickload as a primary source of load data.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Ovenpaa wrote:Also, beware Quickload as a primary source of load data.

Exactly! Quickload is a theoretical programme. It’s not published load data.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sim G wrote:Exactly! Quickload is a theoretical programme. It’s not published load data.
My early experiences with QL were very good which led to me starting to believe it was always going to give near perfect results, then I loaded for a 6,5-284 purely based on QL and even with a conservative QL load it was still way to spiteful for mine or the rifles good. Since then I have noticed a few cartridges where QL data is a long way from manufacturers suggested data so these days it is mostly used for theoretical stuff such as barrel lengths and trying to forecast free boost effect with sound moderators.

I still use it, just with a reasonable degree of caution...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I all ways refer to the manufactures data when using a new powder or working with a new caliber. I have only just acquired my copy of quick load so I'm still checking it out.
For example, I'm using 139g Scenars with N150 using Vitavouri load data. I'm reading a lot to see what other people are up to on the other forums etc. There is a lot of info out there from Laurie for instance.

#10 Post by 1066 »

Alpha1 wrote: I swapped the pans over on the scales and low and behold they zeroed. A new one on me I didn't think swapping the pans would make that much difference.
But I'm not happy now so I will have to pull all my loads check weigh them and start again.
Was your scale problem just the pan mix-up and are you back to normal now or still having problems with the scale? Yes, as you have found out the pans are not interchangeable (it can be done if you have a system running two pans but takes some fettling)

Some guys (mainly USA) run two pans with a Targetmaster and one scale - it depends how you organise your work flow. I seat the bullet while the next charge is weighing, some charge all the cases then seat the bullets where two pans can increase speed.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com