Hornady M beam scales problem.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Hornady M beam scales problem.

#21 Post by mag41uk »

Alpha1 wrote:So were are you getting these thousands of 139g scenars Jeff.
I have been getting 1k boxes of lapua from Sportsmans Gun Centre.
Fortunately I got loads a few year back when they were £290 delivered!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#22 Post by Geek »

mag41uk wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:So were are you getting these thousands of 139g scenars Jeff.
I have been getting 1k boxes of lapua from Sportsmans Gun Centre.
Fortunately I got loads a few year back when they were £290 delivered![/quo

I bought 400 from Fox Firearms (Diggle range).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#23 Post by ukrifleman »

I always zero my Redding No. 2 scale first, then dial up the charge setting and then verify with check weights before throwing powder.
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

ukrifleman wrote:I always zero my Redding No. 2 scale first, then dial up the charge setting and then verify with check weights before throwing powder.
I just check weigh a couple of bullets on a calibrated laboratory scale at work and use those to calibrate my scale after zeroing it. I don't have any check weights in grains.
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

Still not happy with this Hornady scale.
I zeroed it tonight set it at 34.5 grains set up my target master trickler.
I dropped a charge from my RCBS powder measure under 34.5grains popped it in the pan and set the trickier away it stopped at 34.5grains on the beam. I did 50 rounds then checked them on an electronic scale after zeroing it and checking it with a 50gram check weight. I then measured the powder charges they all came out at 35.5 grains a full-grain over what the Hornady beam scale indicated. It's a good job I checked and that the charge does not exceed the maximum in the Vit reloading data. But I'm puzzled as to what's going on.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by 1066 »

Looks like there's a problem with that scale Alpha. Most problems on the "M" type are in the panhanger area. The short length of threaded rod that holds the adjustable tare nuts also holds the small knife edge for the pan stirrup in place, if that has loosened at any time the knife edges may well have rotated a little. If so, just slacken off the threaded rod lock nut and reset the knife edge vertical.

Unlike the RCBS and many other scales the main knife edges "self centre" and rotate on fixed bearings so are almost trouble free unless there's an obvious burr. The stirrup also "self centres" on the pan hanger knife edges so as long as it's not bent out of shape shouldn't give much trouble. Also worth having a look to see it there is any movement on the copper damping plate, it's riveted to the beam and obviously shouldn't move. While you're at that end shine a torch in the damping slot to check for fine wire wool hairs that have been attracted to the damping magnet.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

1066 wrote:Looks like there's a problem with that scale Alpha. Most problems on the "M" type are in the panhanger area. The short length of threaded rod that holds the adjustable tare nuts also holds the small knife edge for the pan stirrup in place, if that has loosened at any time the knife edges may well have rotated a little. If so, just slacken off the threaded rod lock nut and reset the knife edge vertical.

Unlike the RCBS and many other scales the main knife edges "self centre" and rotate on fixed bearings so are almost trouble free unless there's an obvious burr. The stirrup also "self centres" on the pan hanger knife edges so as long as it's not bent out of shape shouldn't give much trouble. Also worth having a look to see it there is any movement on the copper damping plate, it's riveted to the beam and obviously shouldn't move. While you're at that end shine a torch in the damping slot to check for fine wire wool hairs that have been attracted to the damping magnet.
Unfortunately, after many years of use, I have lost all confidence in this beam scale. I'm going to have to replace it I think. I'm not happy using it again.