Lead consumption!

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Lead consumption!

#1 Post by dodgyrog »

I'm casting some 500 grain boolits for a chap for his 45/70. The lead pot can't keep up with the amount of lead being consumed! Lol
What are the biggest / heaviest boolits any of you have cast? Dromia is excluded from this one!

Just for a laugh, I've had to stop casting for an hour as I have to go to the quack to get my blood lead level checked. Last time I had it checked they got it wrong by a factor of 4 and thought I should be dead! Lol.

Do any of you casters also get your blood lead level checked regularly?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Lead consumption!

#2 Post by Mattnall »

We're constantly running indoor ranges and I have my lead levels checked annually when they do the cholesterol check. So far the levels are well within normal limits and not a problem.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#3 Post by FredB »

35 years ago I was shooting in a thursday evening league in Lancashire which included a number of Police Athletic Association teams. We turned up one night at one of the police ranges and the usual organiser was absent. "Where's Arthur? we asked. It transpired that Arthur had a severe lead problem. He spent up to 8 hours a day most weeks on the range and the spot where he usually sat was where the escaping air, drawn out ny the extractor system, passed. He had become very ill and the hospital had found blood in his lead stream. He was now on a high calcium diet and had had to give up shooting.
We panicked. Our range---which was on a company site---did not even have an extration system, just some metal chimneys in the flat roof. We contacted the company doctor who asked for three members to test, one old, one middle aged and one young. The old subject was 92, had been shooting on the range since 1937 and had no significant quantity of lead in his blood. The other two were completely clear. We arranged to have extractor fans fitted in the metal chimneys.
This scare prompted me to ask for a blood lead test at every medical, although I no longer shoot on an indoor range, since I do a lot of casting.
To date, no problem has been found.
Attachments
Casting set up.JPG
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

I have a huge industrial fan I place to the right of my casting set up - it sucks the fumes out of the garage and out into the street.
I had a blood test done about a year back no lead at all. Plenty of iron though - I'm a serious meat eater.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."