Lapua 139grain Scenars any good in the 6.5 creedmoor

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Lapua 139grain Scenars any good in the 6.5 creedmoor

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for the info.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

Alpha1 wrote:I have been doing some reading up and apparently, you can convert 243 cases and even .308 cases to 6.5 Creedmoor.
So I'm going to have a go. Why you may ask well because that's the kind of stuff I like doing. It sounds like fun.

teanews hmm whats next. get some imperial sizing wax.
I believe 22-250 cases are a better parent case.
Unless you have some, I suppose the 243 will do the job too.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
The Gun Pimp

#13 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I have been doing some reading up and apparently, you can convert 243 cases and even .308 cases to 6.5 Creedmoor.
So I'm going to have a go. Why you may ask well because that's the kind of stuff I like doing. It sounds like fun.

As per the Target Shooter article - you can buy 50 Starline brass Creedmoor cases for £32! Or 64p per case! How can you buy a 243 case, fill it with powder primer and bullet cheaper than that? Plus you'll have barrel wear as well - it don't make sense.

Of course, if you know what you are doing you could use a fast powder and wax plug. But, how much powder and what type? And that won't give you a full fireform - you'll still need a bullet load to sharpen the corners.

Fun? Well, that's down to you but for me, cleaning wax out of a barrel, driving to and from the range, reloading the odd one that doesn't fire..........
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

The Gun Pimp wrote:

As per the Target Shooter article - you can buy 50 Starline brass Creedmoor cases for £32! Or 64p per case! How can you buy a 243 case, fill it with powder primer and bullet cheaper than that? Plus you'll have barrel wear as well - it don't make sense.

Of course, if you know what you are doing you could use a fast powder and wax plug. But, how much powder and what type? And that won't give you a full fireform - you'll still need a bullet load to sharpen the corners.

Fun? Well, that's down to you but for me, cleaning wax out of a barrel, driving to and from the range, reloading the odd one that doesn't fire..........
I could buy starline brass if I could get hold of it no body has it in stock. SPUD does not have it. Kranks does not have it none of my local dealers has it. I said I was interested to see if it could be done I did not say I was going to fire it through my rifle. But then again I might just do that. Its all good fun.
The Gun Pimp

#15 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Hannam's have it in stock - not too far from you.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I will give them a bell cheer,s.
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

I converted some .308 cases to 6.5 creedmoor Im surprised how easy it was. You just need to trim them to the correct lentgh before sizing.
I have measured the brass neck thickness its the same.
Im tempted to re load one and see how it performs.
But not now thats enough for now. Need to get the new rifle up and running first.
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Not a very good picture the one on the left is a 6.5 Creedmoor case the one on right is .308 the overall length is slightly out. But not bad for a first attempt.
002.jpg
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#19 Post by phaedra1106 »

You should really neck turn them, the problem with 243 and 308 cases converted to 6.5C is you can end up with what are called "Donut" rings in them. As I said earlier the 22-250 is a much better way to do it until you get some actual 6.5C cases.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm hoping to have some cases on Monday. Then I can crack on with my handloading.