Bullets shaving on inner case / resistance when seating .308

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Bullets shaving on inner case / resistance when seating

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

Are these bullets classed as very low drag (vld)? Bullets which are vld tend to have a longer boat tail and sometimes require you to chamfer your case mouths using a specific vld chamfering tool.

These tools have a lower angle compared with standard chamfering tools which is meant to aid in the seating of vld bullets in cases.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190620-070707_Chrome.jpg
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#12 Post by dirtbag »

Hi they are longer bullets yes, not sure if they are classed as vld,ill check and many thanks
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by Pete »

Alpha1 wrote:They are probably no use at all. But it's your money.
Well, the reamer, that cost me all of a fiver posted, does the trick for me for all the calibres I shoot............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#14 Post by Racalman »

dirtbag wrote:Hi they are longer bullets yes, not sure if they are classed as vld,ill check and many thanks
I've never had a problem seating 175gn SMK and I'm pretty certain they are not VLD.

From what others have said it looks like your tumbler is causing the problem but glad you found a solution, although it's a shame to need yet another stage in the case prep process.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#15 Post by dirtbag »

Pete wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:They are probably no use at all. But it's your money.
Well, the reamer, that cost me all of a fiver posted, does the trick for me for all the calibres I shoot............

Pete
+1 and thanks Pete

I'll give that a try before I spend 40 odd quid. I'd rather risk wasting 5 vs 40
Also I know it's my money (thanks for pointing that out a1)
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#16 Post by dirtbag »

Dear all, thanks for your responses.
Got the tool today (The five quid one) , works a treat, 3 simple turns and the bullets gliiiide in.

Many thanks !
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#17 Post by Pete »

Toldja !!! shakeshout

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....