Forester Co Ax press or Arbor press?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Harrytucker

Forester Co Ax press or Arbor press?

#1 Post by Harrytucker »

Hi all!
I have been using a Rcbs rockchucker for the last 10 years and I am toying with the idea of getting a new press. I have been looking at the Forester Co Ax due to its reviews however wanted to ask if I would be better buying an arbor press with the Wilson seating die?
Thanks
Harry
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Forester Co Ax press or Arbor press?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would go for the Forster unless you have a burning desire to use Wilson dies.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I use both for everday re loading I would go for the Co ax the Wilson stuff is about neck sizing with bushing dies. Wilson stuff can work out very expensive if you re load for lots of different calibers. I am a big fan of Wilson.
rox

#4 Post by rox »

An arbor press is s great choice if you travel and reload - especially for travel by air.

Harrytucker

#5 Post by Harrytucker »

I just seem to be fighting with run out issues and I am not sure what the culprit is. My fired brass has no run out on the case neck however as soon as I sized it yesterday I am getting 4-5 thousands run out. I am using a redding bushing die and have removed the expander.
Any ideas guy?
rox

#6 Post by rox »

Harrytucker wrote:My fired brass has no run out on the case neck however as soon as I sized it yesterday I am getting 4-5 thousands run out. I am using a redding bushing die and have removed the expander.
What type (brand) of brass?

And how much do you size down in one step?

Last edited by rox on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Harrytucker

#8 Post by Harrytucker »

I am using lapua brass and Peterson brass. After firing and cleaning the brass I punch the primers out using a decapping die, then resize the brass using a bushing die bumping the shoulder back 0.001.
After this I trim cases to length using a Wilson trimmer, clean primer pockets out, chamfer case moths, clean flash holes ready for pruning and powder. To seat bullets I use a redding micrometer seating die.
I have just ordered a Sinclair expander die instead of using my K&M one.
Any thoughts is much appreciated.
Harrytucker

#9 Post by Harrytucker »

All cases have also been neck turned using a K&M neck turner.
rox

#10 Post by rox »

Do you know how much you size-down the neck in one step?

From memory there is some limit, over which it is better to size in 2 or more steps, maybe 0.005" or thereabouts.

Also, how much are you then sizing-up with your mandrel?

Do you have a one-piece (non-bushing) FL die you can try? since you're setting neck tension with an expander mandrel the neck ID resulting from the sizing die is less critical, and fixed dies can apparently give improved runout vs bushing dies.

Another option to try would be sizing the neck with a Lee Collet die. These are a firm favourite for low neck runout. They can take a little fettling and a little getting-used to the required technique, but don't discount them because they're 'red'. They are also cheap to try.

Also look at your lube. What do you use? Do you lube the neck ID (especially if you clean the neck ID to bare metal)?

Be in no doubt - Rock Chuckers can load ammo with less than 0.004" to 0.005" runout, so I wouldn't switch to CoAx or Arbor+Wilson just to solve that particular problem, at least until you have firmly established that the press is the cause (e.g. has a pretty serious fault).