Good quality 223 bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Good quality 223 bullets

#1 Post by shugie »

MY AR does not seem to like hollow point Sierra Match Kings, they sometimes hang up on the feed ramp and get rammed back into the case. It's happy enough with the NATO issue stuff the range office sells, but I'd like to find a good quality solid point bullet for reloading.

Any recommendations?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: Good quality 223 bullets

#2 Post by Fedaykin »

HPBT match or actual hollow point/expanding?

If the former what kind of shooting? Plinking at the gallery range or serious target shooting?

If the former whatever is the cheapest (PPU maybe) or latter something like Hornady.

Could it be that you have misidentified the issue and there isn't actually and issue with the Sierra bullets and there is something wrong with your reloads.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Have you got more than one magazine and tried it/them with those reloads and its still not happy?

What size (in grains) bullet are you using?
DVC
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

Also, have you tried polishing your feed ramp...?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

A light grind and polish of the feed ramps in the barrel and receiver (search M4 Feed Ramps) usually does the trick.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#6 Post by shugie »

Mattnall wrote:A light grind and polish of the feed ramps in the barrel and receiver (search M4 Feed Ramps) usually does the trick.
That's on the job list! But I need to get some more bullets soon, and wanted to see if there were any as good as the Sierra Match Kings, or close, with a rounded nose.

Not magazine dependent.

Thanks for the answers.
Careful now/that sort of thing
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#7 Post by mag41uk »

try scenars
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

mag41uk wrote:try scenars
It is likely the same issue will occur.
The problem is most likely due to the bullet shape being too pointy (when compared to the smaller and lighter 55 and 62gn bullets) and the scenars will probably be similar.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Sierra do a FMJBT bullet. 55gns with a cannelure. Their BC is better than their 52gn And 53gn Matchkings and just a smidge behind their 69gn Matchking. Loaded with Vhit N133 or H335, it's one of the AR shooters best kept secrets! My 1 in 8" twist Sassen barrelled Bradley loves them!

And, Kranks do them for just over 21 quid!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

I know PPU match have been well spoken of by Maggot, and he goes through a ton of ammo in a year.