Mauser K98 loads for long range

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Mauser K98 loads for long range

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all - just dusted off the cobwebs from one of my 98's and have decided to give it some range time.
This variant is the low turret BYF 43 with 6X Zielsech scope.

I have some PPU 175gr HPFMJ bullets in .323, and lots of H4895 powder to use.
I have always used (what's available) the 196gr -200gr bullets, but now have lighter bullets.
Can anyone recommend any pet loads for long ranges , say 600 -800 yards please ?

Thanks in advance
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Mauser K98 loads for long range

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

I've used 200gr Sierra Matchking's in my Mauser M48 which worked like a charm. 48.0gr of Ramshot Big Game worked fantastic at knocking down Fig11 targets at 600 yards all day long. It was capable of hitting the same size targets out to 900 yards but a bit more of a challenge as elevation was between scales on the rear sight so some holdover was required.

Although I've not used them past 100 yards, the Sellier and Bellot 198gr Bullets are also pretty good with my rifle, but I've only used RS50 powder with this bullet.

Unfortunately, I've not used any of the lighter bullets so cannot comment on their suitability.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Hi many thanks for your help.

I have the 196gr S&B's , formally used the PPU 198gr's (until the prices per 100 pretty much doubled)
The 175's I manged to get from another forum sale so quite limited as I have not seen these particular ones in the UK retail.

Never shot lighter bullets in my Mausers, when I do I'll report back.
Looking forward to my shoulder not getting "as" battered...
WelshShooter

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Yes, please do! The Mauser is a feisty rifle and I seldomn shoot more than a box of 20 rounds in summer unless I'm wearing a shoulder pad. It would be great to know if the lighter bullets perform as well as the S&B and the obscenely expensive SMK's.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

dirtbag wrote:Hi all - just dusted off the cobwebs from one of my 98's and have decided to give it some range time.
Can't help with the loads, but the gun sounds lovely :good:

I've just acquired a P.Kohler Berlin 6x59 scope that I'm hoping will find itself sitting on top of my 30-06 Norwegian capture K98.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

dirtbag wrote: Looking forward to my shoulder not getting "as" battered...
Indeed (its just as bad with 30-06) and it makes you wonder what state the shoulder of young Wehrmacht soldiers were like shooting 100's and 100's of rounds a day with them (and no ear protection) wtf

As mentioned above, 15-20 rds max is my limit with the K with factory loads, unless wearing a shoulder pad, as I've been plagued with shoulder tendonitis for years, so have to be careful of not aggravating that as the body doesn't repair so easily these days 8-)
Dahonis

#7 Post by Dahonis »

Although I can't help with loads for this rifle (I really need a K98 :good: )

I also suffer with shoulder issues, have you thought about using cast boolits?

Cheap to buy if you don't cast already, but the massive bonus is you can pretty much shoot all day long.

I managed 702 rounds on my last shoot from a Mosin M44 and a .308. I have arthritis and two operations on my shoulder under my belt so to speak.

Kind Regards

Chris
WelshShooter

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

GeeRam wrote:
dirtbag wrote: Looking forward to my shoulder not getting "as" battered...
Indeed (its just as bad with 30-06) and it makes you wonder what state the shoulder of young Wehrmacht soldiers were like shooting 100's and 100's of rounds a day with them (and no ear protection) wtf

As mentioned above, 15-20 rds max is my limit with the K with factory loads, unless wearing a shoulder pad, as I've been plagued with shoulder tendonitis for years, so have to be careful of not aggravating that as the body doesn't repair so easily these days 8-)
While I find the recoil to be harsh when bench resting or shooting prone it is actually quite mild from a standing position. It feels more like a shove than a punch, strange. So I imagine if the Wehrmacht were to shoot this from a standing position they could probably shoot it all day.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#9 Post by dirtbag »

GeeRam wrote:
dirtbag wrote:Hi all - just dusted off the cobwebs from one of my 98's and have decided to give it some range time.
Can't help with the loads, but the gun sounds lovely :good:

I've just acquired a P.Kohler Berlin 6x59 scope that I'm hoping will find itself sitting on top of my 30-06 Norwegian capture K98.

This is a pic on anther thread, but a shot of it at the range from 1000 yards. This and my Mosin Nagant is all I used to use at long range, now the SVD and M14 go into the boot of my car these days as I am on the board straight away 1st shot generally.

Of old, I am a Mauser man, but had to accept that I had best days with the Mosin Nagant long range on a one on one.
Attachments
MN.jpg
K98LT.jpg
K98LT2.jpg