Shelf live of primers?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
tfb
Home club or Range: TSC

Shelf live of primers?

#1 Post by tfb »

After having a sort through of the cupboard under the stairs I discovered 5 boxes of remington small pistol primers, judging by the other stuff they were stored with they have gone through 3 house moves and are at least 20 years old. Any idea if they are still OK to use?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Shelf live of primers?

#2 Post by FredB »

I have fired 303 rounds a few years ago that were dated 1909. Not only did they go bang, but they were very accurate at 300yds.
Fred
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

tfb wrote:After having a sort through of the cupboard under the stairs I discovered 5 boxes of remington small pistol primers, judging by the other stuff they were stored with they have gone through 3 house moves and are at least 20 years old. Any idea if they are still OK to use?
No they are highly dangerous you need to send them to me and I will dispose of them safely through my .357 magnum underlever. lol
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#4 Post by DavidRees »

I've recently finished off some primers I bought back in 1994 or so. No issues whatsoever.
tfb

#5 Post by tfb »

Alpha1 wrote:
tfb wrote:After having a sort through of the cupboard under the stairs I discovered 5 boxes of remington small pistol primers, judging by the other stuff they were stored with they have gone through 3 house moves and are at least 20 years old. Any idea if they are still OK to use?
No they are highly dangerous you need to send them to me and I will dispose of them safely through my .357 magnum underlever. lol
Tell you what, once I've put them through mine, i'll send them off to you!
tfb

#6 Post by tfb »

Thanks, I've used very old ammo before but a complete round is sealed and I wasn't sure how exposure to air would affect the primers.

I'll try them out in my next session.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#7 Post by Racalman »

I have some old large rifle primers that I acquired from someone else years ago
primers.jpg
No idea how old they are, but they work perfectly (although they require more effort to seat than their modern equivalent).
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I still have pre-ban CCI small and large pistol and shotgun primers I am working my way through. Down to the last few thousand now :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#9 Post by Lever357 »

When I started reloading two years ago I bought 2000 CCI primers off a friend who had originally bought them when he shot pistols. I've now used them all and not one failed to go off.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

I would imagine that if kept in a cool, dry atmosphere they would outlast the average human lifetime!.I'm sure I heard somewhere that old corrosive military Berdan primers last even longer than non-corrosive Boxer primers.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!