Alliant Red Dot

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

Alliant Red Dot

#1 Post by stuarta »

I recently bought a Rossi under leaver in .44, it came with .44 S&W special cases. primers, 240 gr bullets and 1lb of Red Dot. My Lee reloading manual and the Alliant web page do not give any load data for Red Dot and 240 gr bullets, can any experienced reloader give me any advice about what to do please?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Alliant Red Dot

#2 Post by FredB »

For normal gallery rifle shooting at up to 100yds, 6 to 6.5 grn will be fine. red dot is just a little slower burning than bullseye but, in the good old days, used to be a lot cheaper. Hence I have used rather a lot of it in the past.
Fred
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#3 Post by stuarta »

Thank you for your reply, it confirms what another experienced reloader has told me so I will load some ammo tonight
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Yup, 240gn LSWC with approx. 6.5 gns, CCI primer gives around 900-1000 fps.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Just checked on my (very) old Speer manual... using a 240gn lead bullet, for .44 special loads, 5.0 gns of red dot gives 763 fps, and for the magnum loads, 6.5 gns gives 937 fps...

According to Speer those are the MAXIMUM loads.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#6 Post by Andy632 »

Daryll wrote:Just checked on my (very) old Speer manual... using a 240gn lead bullet, for .44 special loads, 5.0 gns of red dot gives 763 fps, and for the magnum loads, 6.5 gns gives 937 fps...

According to Speer those are the MAXIMUM loads.

Aye, but they are probably for a pistol barrel, not a rifle.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#7 Post by Daryll »

Almost certainly.... it seems to be tricky to find load info for pistol calibre rifles.

I've just started loading for .45 Colt, and its the same for that... at least 80% of the data is for revolvers, and most of them low pressure loads for very old guns..
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Try looking at Contender loads.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/