reloading books

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Del
Home club or Range: not got on yet

reloading books

#1 Post by Del »

hi all

what's the better books to keep handy for reloading data

cheers del
David24

Re: reloading books

#2 Post by David24 »

I bought "Modern reloading 2nd edition" by Richard Lee when I first got into reloading early last year, and haven't felt the need to buy any other books since. Nice and easy to read layout of data also.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I would recommend the Lyman latest edition.

It pressure tests much of its loads which is the quality you need in a manual.

I would avoid the Lee like the plague, it has tested none of its loads it has just copied them from other sources including original mistakes and adding a few of their own. It also errs very much on the conservative side so that the loads "fit" within their volume method of powder measuring. Their other whacky systems like bullet alloy to pressure are not conducive to giving a good basic foundation of reloading knowledge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Del

#4 Post by Del »

thanks lads will have a look

cheers del
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

I have both the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition and the Lyman 49th Edition.

IMHO both have their place, the Lee manual gives good basic advice to new re-loaders and their load data covers a much wider range of calibres than the Lyman 49th who seem biased towards popular USA calibres.

As for load data, it would seem lawyers write them rather than real shooters these days!

If you want accurate load data, access the powder manufactures websites.

ukrifleman
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by WelshShooter »

When I got into handloading 7 years ago I started with the Speer Reloading Manual #14 as that in what came with my press. As you'd expect, all the loads contained within were based upon bullets offered by Speer with no other bullet considered. The book was very informative regarding the concepts of reloading but in all cases I use load data published from the powder manufacturers. Vihtavuori and Reload Swiss are two examples of powder manufacturers who have plenty of load data on their websites.
Cambs-lass

#7 Post by Cambs-lass »

I use the Hornaday one as that is the make they mostly sell at the shop I go to, very comprehensive.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#8 Post by Lever357 »

I find the Lee one a bit like a catalogue and a history of the company. And they certainly like blowing their own trumpet - our @@@@ was the best on the market, no competitor could touch it - time and time again!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Del

#9 Post by Del »

got the lee one as it was going cheep but will look out for the others

thanks lads
proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

#10 Post by proteus »

I have the Lyman book, to be honest I found the powder manufacturer websites to be better for load data. What was available in the book was pretty limited in my view. So whilst it is a handy reference for general reloading I've actually not used anything from it teanews