Cadet and Rook rifles

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
HistoricBore
Home club or Range: Hampshire

Cadet and Rook rifles

#1 Post by HistoricBore »

As a new member to this forum, perhaps I have missed any earlier comments/ conversations about Rook rifles and their reloading, This would be for such weird calibres as .297/250, .295/300 Rook, the fairly common .310 Cadet, etc.

Are you out there, or perhaps you have questions that I might answer??

HistoricBore
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Cadet and Rook rifles

#2 Post by FredB »

What is "weird" about the old Rook Rifle calibres. We have been shooting them for 20 years at my club without problem----plus lots of other obsolete rounds.
Fred
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

.310 cadet re loading has been covered before and probably rook rifles as well.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

"Weird calibres", how come you by that?

They appear regularly on the ranges and clubs I use, the real issue with them is the ridiculous prices being asked for them. As soon as someone writes books about a type of gun then the prices rocket as a whole raft of new "collectors" and "experts" set out to buy.

I have owned and shot many rifles in those calibres. Although I sold off my Rook rifle collection a few years ago now, I am still shooting and loading for .310 Cadet and the 295/300.

Loading for such calibres nowadays is a doddle due to the availability of good affordable bespoke bullet moulds. As with all cast bullet shooting, good bullet fit, soft alloy and appropriate lube is all you need.

Lots of past discussion on here especially for the 310 Cadet, what would you like to know specifically?

The forum's search function is your friend.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sadly the only Rook rifles I have shot recently were butchered in a previous life and are now .410 Great fun to shoot however... I have been looking for a Rook rifle for ages now and I am not sure I will ever own one, they attract a ridiculous premium these days and even the .22LR and .410 versions seem to have huge price tags on them.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HistoricBore

#6 Post by HistoricBore »

I haven't spotted the Search function yet, so will and look for it.

HB
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#7 Post by meles meles »

If rook rifles are for shooting rooks, are cadet rifles for shooting cadets... ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#8 Post by Andy632 »

Mine was butchered/modified many moons ago to take .38 S&W.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
HistoricBore

#9 Post by HistoricBore »

A slight rechambering to .38 S&W (but not Special) is actually a very good conversion. It is virtually the same as the old .380 Long. Hollow base wadcutter bullets usually work well, but don't try to seat them completely inside the case! I had a martini action one like this for years, and it was great. A pal in Devon shot two foxes with his from his kitchen...

HB
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#10 Post by FredB »

I don't understand why you need to modify a .360--380 rook rifle to take 38 S&W brass. They fit perfectly in several rifles that I have owned over the decades, As stated above, you can use 38 Special hollow based wad cutters without shortening the cases. It all depends on your groove diameter. .360 no5 usually slugs at .372" but some .380 long rifles come out at .375" or above. For these, you need short brass and the correct healed bullet. With the light loads used, obturation becomes an issue with shortened 38 special brass, leading to blackened cases and vertical stringing on the target. The few extra thou in diameter of the 38 S&W brass makes all the difference.
Fred