Partial Neck sizing question

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ballistix

Partial Neck sizing question

#1 Post by Ballistix »

Hi all.

I'm about to start my first ever set of loads before hitting the range with my Chrony.

I'm working in 308 and 223 using Forster Bushing bump neck sizing dies for both.

My question is - for those who partial neck size - how much of the neck do you recommend I start sizing to? 75%?

Thanks
rox

Re: Partial Neck sizing question

#2 Post by rox »

Ballistix wrote:My question is - for those who partial neck size - how much of the neck do you recommend I start sizing to?
All of it. Or at least, as much you can with a bushing die.

Maggot

#3 Post by Maggot »

Some do as much as possible. I know of BR folk who do as little as 35%.

I did an experiment and found that the rifle did not like too little, but was advised to do just above the junction between neck and shoulder. About 80%

Something to do with separating bump and sizing process and avoiding anything going on near this junction.

It seems to work ok, but at the end of that day, do what works.
Ballistix

#4 Post by Ballistix »

Great thank you very much. Appreciate the comments and I'll give that a whirl. Just need some range time. Wish I could hire the side of a mountain to load test for a day!
Maggot

#5 Post by Maggot »

Ballistix wrote:Great thank you very much. Appreciate the comments and I'll give that a whirl. Just need some range time. Wish I could hire the side of a mountain to load test for a day!
That's the problem. The other problem is really you need to do each test a couple of times unless there are obvious anomalies, otherwise you may well just have been shooting badly for one group but yes, range time is a bugger for testing at times.

I tend to keep and scan all my test targets so I can identify sweet spots and patterns to re-visit if need be.
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Ballistix wrote:Great thank you very much. Appreciate the comments and I'll give that a whirl. Just need some range time. Wish I could hire the side of a mountain to load test for a day!
Where is 'Eastern UK?' Are you anywhere near Diggle - 10m NE of Manchester? We have excellent testing facilities.

Incidentally, I shoot benchrest at 100, 600 and 1000 yds and I never 'partially neck size'. You can partially neck-size with benchrest bushing hand-dies but I don't know how you would do it with normal FL sizing dies - unless you just use a neck-die, in which case, the body/shoulder wouldn't be touched. If you want your gun to run smoothly,you must full-length size the body as well as the neck.