Mercer & NRA Against Reloading

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Maggot

Re: Mercer & NRA Against Reloading

#111 Post by Maggot »

kennyc wrote:
karen wrote:Kenny - the NRA DO have a robust system of incident reporting in place. However incidents take time to investigate fully and if there is a warning to be given then it is promulgated widely as soon as possible (see the recent warning http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/conten ... RA&id=1475 )

Once there has been a full investigation on these incidents then I am sure members and non-members will be told.
thank you for your reply Karen, however I feel it highlights the NRA's Myopia to communication with their members, I can now see the safety notice,but only because you have gone above and beyound to bring it to my attention! however I have just been over my emails, and I see no warning message ! it is simplicity itself to copy/paste the notices, or attach the .pdf to a global email and send it to all members, it is already done with NRA news letters, and special action mails such as the recent petition notices.
Karen I am not getting at you, I appreciate that you are being open and helpful in bringing your knowledge of the way that the NRA operates to a wider audience.
I will put my hands up and say I almost never look at the NRA site, I find it clunky and a pain to navigate, however I do always look at emails I receive, and I suspect I am not alone in this.safety messages are only useful if they are detailed and READ! and just putting them onto the site is not the most effective way to bring them to the notice of the membership.
Its so easy these days to bring things to peoples attention Ken.

Since the system changed the only thing I have been able to do is book targets. The range office are great, but I have tried several times to get my log in sorted with the IT bods, one of which is very short on people skills but grunts quiet well. It appears I may have 2 email addresses in there but the great and the good never seem to be able to sort it.

Best moan more I reckon because there is no reason why it shouldn't work well.
Mike Jenvey
Home club or Range: Barton Road // Bisley

#112 Post by Mike Jenvey »

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/news ... dacted.pdf

Is this as a result of discussions here?

However, no separate email to members yet.........
Traveller in Aluminium Tubes
Maggot

#113 Post by Maggot »

Mike Jenvey wrote:http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/news ... dacted.pdf

Is this as a result of discussions here?

However, no separate email to members yet.........
Dunno Mike but I hope something positive comes out of any safety issue, they will get there but it all takes time. :good:
Mike Jenvey

#114 Post by Mike Jenvey »

It's certainly very positive (& very well done to whoever managed to get that much detail past the NRA hierarchy) - but I hope that some kind of link to the report is included in the next NRA "news" email to members, so that the report is highlighted. Random access to the NRA website is insufficient to give the wider coverage that is needed.

Same for the future - learning/safety points need to be disseminated quickly & effectively.

I wonder when the National Firearms register will be active - then vital safety messages could be sent out to specific firearms holders - "All holders of Sharp 1876 Combat black powder rifles be aware that there have been several chamber failures based on blah, blah...." Oh, I can but dream! ;-)
Maggot

#115 Post by Maggot »

Mike Jenvey wrote:It's certainly very positive (& very well done to whoever managed to get that much detail past the NRA hierarchy) - but I hope that some kind of link to the report is included in the next NRA "news" email to members, so that the report is highlighted. Random access to the NRA website is insufficient to give the wider coverage that is needed.

Same for the future - learning/safety points need to be disseminated quickly & effectively.

I wonder when the National Firearms register will be active - then vital safety messages could be sent out to specific firearms holders - "All holders of Sharp 1876 Combat black powder rifles be aware that there have been several chamber failures based on blah, blah...." Oh, I can but dream! ;-)
No point Mike, its not mindless.... emrolleyes

When you see some of the own goals people score on mobiles, face book, gum tree etc you will see what I mean :cry:
Mike Jenvey

#116 Post by Mike Jenvey »

When you see some of the own goals people score on mobiles, face book, gum tree etc you will see what I mean
Very true, but they tend to be "individual" idiots rather than those who participate as a club member (I hope!).

I can only go on what I see (membership of 2 clubs, one of which has a very large proportion of members who hand load) & personally, I haven't seen any dangerous practices (or dangerous round characteristics) - & if I had, as an RCO Assessor, I would have been duty-bound to report it.

That doesn't mean that there no potential for errors, far from it. In aviation, the principle is to spread the word to all & sundry in order to try & avoid the same error being made elsewhere. Also in aviation, there is a very important principle that if you make a genuine mistake & report it, then there is no come-back on you. However, very different if you deliberately conceal something dangerous, or even worse, go with intent to do something stupid.

We need to encourage the reporting attitude (with no penalty & associated "learning" publicity) & hit hard at the stoopid mentality! This, as previously mentioned, relies on the integrity of the firer, or anyone who sees a dangerous situation.