7.65x53 Brass Forming

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Sfwh

7.65x53 Brass Forming

#1 Post by Sfwh »

Hello chaps

I have an obscure reloading query here. I want to make 7.65x53 Mauser (for the Argentine and Belgian Mausers) cases from a more available calibre. I tried using a Lee 7.65x53 full-length sizing die on 30-06 cases and then trimming, but the resulting cases wouldn't chamber. I contacted Lee Precision and they said that full-length sizing dies are not designed to form the desired calibre from a different one, and I also found that a few others had this problem caused by the Lee die not pushing the case shoulder down far enough.

Looking for a solution, I found one reference to someone using 308 cases which are a little too short but could essentially be fireformed to become 7.65x53 - link here: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... ne.675310/
(final comment)

My question is, has anyone else tried using this method with 308? Does it work, or can anyone suggest another solution? I'd rather not purchase the PPU brass if I can help it. I'd also prefer not to purchase any more dies. Any help is much appreciated.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: 7.65x53 Brass Forming

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

If 308 is too short then wouldn't a 30'06 be more suitable?
Don't forget to delete or mark the headstamp of reformed brass!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

In the Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly and Towsley, it states;

Trim .30-06 to 2.1", anneal and F/L resize in a 7.65 Mauser die. Then trim to 2.09" and chamfer mouth.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sfwh

#5 Post by Sfwh »

I think the Lee dies have problems and RCBS dies are what I need. Then trimming .30-06 brass down and forming should work fine. Thanks though.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

As with most case forming from donor cases, annealing is a very important part of the process.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

One question I meant to ask, why won’t you buy Privi brass?

Sfwh

#8 Post by Sfwh »

Sim G wrote:One question I meant to ask, why won’t you buy Privi brass?
Oh I can do I just have buckets of .308 and .30-06 so was hoping to use some of that rather than buy the new stuff.
gashtyke

#9 Post by gashtyke »

I have never seen any advertised/available at a comparable price in the UK.

I use an RCBS file/trim die............just run a lubed 30-06 or 270 case in and hack off the protrusion.

I anneal after this and fireform to finish the shoulder.
Laurie

#10 Post by Laurie »

gashtyke wrote:
I have never seen any advertised/available at a comparable price in the UK.

I use an RCBS file/trim die............just run a lubed 30-06 or 270 case in and hack off the protrusion.

I anneal after this and fireform to finish the shoulder.
Henry Krank which is the UK importer for PPU doesn't list 7.65x53mm in either ammunition or brass. Whether they'd be willing to get some in specially ..... ?

When I did some loading for an FN Modelo 1935 in 7.65 a long time ago, I also used an RCBS 'Trim' die. I saw somewhere at the time that these dies also did an FL size / ?? Form job. Anyway, it worked very well. They're expensive items presumably because of the hardening needed on the top surface to allow the excess neck brass to be sawed and filed off.

I tried a few 30-06 cases just out of interest and they chambered fine. All those I shot were once or twice fired 8X57mm Mauser - a much less ambitious re-form. Although they were cheap FNM they worked fine and didn't split despite not being annealed. I don't know how many firings they'd have taken before necks went, but I got three or four no trouble, and as I had lots of 8X57 cases and it was an easy re-form job, it was no great issue.

You do need a pretty hefty press for this sort of job as press frame flex / stretch will see shoulders left too far forward. I used a big Lee Classic Cast cast iron job, the original pre-Breech lock version. These are very sturdy presses - used in tweaked form by some small scale bulletmakers.