What weight / gr bullet ?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Rambles35
Home club or Range: NRA

What weight / gr bullet ?

#1 Post by Rambles35 »

Using . 308, i shoot 155gr at 1000yds and 168gr or 175 at 600

168 and 175gr transition to subsonic around 800yds
The occasional round tumbles and drops a couple of minutes at long range
I am told weight of bullet should make no difference with range.....do you agree?
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: What weight / gr bullet ?

#2 Post by Sim G »

Just wait.... Laurie will be along soon, no doubt! He’ll have the definative.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum, be aware in future misposts will be removed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
rox

#4 Post by rox »

Rambles35 wrote:Using . 308, i shoot 155gr at 1000yds and 168gr or 175 at 600

168 and 175gr transition to subsonic around 800yds
The occasional round tumbles and drops a couple of minutes at long range
I am told weight of bullet should make no difference with range.....do you agree?
If you're talking about the 168 grain Sierra Match King #2200 (or one of the clones, such as the Nosler 168 Custom Competition) it is inherently unsuitable for long range. It's nothing to do with the weight though. It was designed specifically for 300m shooting; it has high supersonic drag which leads it to go transonic where it becomes unstable and is often found to tumble through the target. The main cause is the boat tail angle which is around 13°; far in excess of the 7° to 9° used by most long range bullet designs. There are other designs in the 168 weight class that shoot fine at long range, such as the Lapua Scenar 167, Berger 168 VLD or Hybrid and the Sierra 168 TMK (which doesn't share the boat tail angle of it's elder brother). As far as I know the Sierra 175 doesn't share these characteristics, so it should shoot to 1000 just fine if you launch it with sufficient velocity and a suitable twist.

You can see the difference in the boat tail angle in this photo:
From the top:

Sierra #2156
Lapua Scenar 155
Sierra #2155
Optimus HBC
Nosler 155 Custom Competition
Nosler 168 Custom Competition