Colt SAA by Pietta / Uberti which is the better choice?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Colt SAA by Pietta / Uberti which is the better choice?

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I could do with some input to help me choose.

I've just had a variation and am mad keen to buy an SAA.
I shall most likely just order one from Krank and it'd be sight unseen because it's a almost a seven hour round trip to the shop.

Thus far I'm more leaning towards Pietta, not so much because they are about thirty-odd quid cheaper, but because the servicing kit is readily available.
And, on a somewhat trivial note, the grips tend to be darker in all the pictures I've seen of the two makes.
Is there anything that makes one make stand out significantly over the other?
Cheers in advance.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Colt SAA by Pietta / Uberti which is the better choice?

#2 Post by Sim G »

I had an Uberti for years. Literally from when the Cattleman BP came out until I sold it to a mate in the summer. The beauty of the Uberti, saying as you mention grips, aftermarket stuff, including grips, are freely available because of the millions of Uberti SAAs in cartridge form that have been sold in the US.

Mine was a 4.75” version. I’d love a 7.5” again at some time as I had one of them as well! lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:59 pm I had an Uberti for years. Literally from when the Cattleman BP came out until I sold it to a mate in the summer. The beauty of the Uberti, saying as you mention grips, aftermarket stuff, including grips, are freely available because of the millions of Uberti SAAs in cartridge form that have been sold in the US.

Mine was a 4.75” version. I’d love a 7.5” again at some time as I had one of them as well! lol
Do Uberti do equivalent maintenance kits akin to those of Pietta?
Being able to perform a service with everything to hand is a comfort to me. I recall all the bother I had with a well-used malfunctioning Uberti Colt Navy I had left in a shop for repairs. It sat for many months waiting for some bits on order. It took so long I literally told the shop to scrap it to get it off ticket. Since then doing my own repairs and ease of sourcing parts has become 'a thing' in my head.

I'm favouring a 5 1/2" barrel - it looks more John Wayne The 7 1/2" may be a little more accurate courtesy of the extra sight radius but it looks a little ungainly in my eyes - and I'm just as drawn to beauty and cool factor as I am to practicality.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Yep, they do the kits. One with screws and the other with springs. Have a look at this link and use the drop down…

https://firingsolutions.co.uk/products/ ... -revolvers
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

Having owned Pietta, and Uberti cap-and-ball revolvers - my experience has been that the Uberti are just a tiny bit better finished than Pietta. Take that for what it's worth.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

uberti - better case hardening and fit.
spares readily available
upgrades available

pietta - better wood finish
screws aren't made of cheese

I have 4 uberti pistols currently, and 1 euroarms / uberti. ive also sold 1 uberti. but to a friend as I was upgrading
i had 2 piettas, both sold. also had an armi san marco, which broke and I couldn't get parts for.
I also have another uberti being held for me.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

Just make sure that Krank's has the correct item if you intend to travel up to the shop. I ordered a Pedersoli traditional Hawken Hunter percussion muzzle loading rifle 54cal at £595, and went off with my lady to pick it up. 3 hours later we arrived at the shop only to find he had ordered a completely different rifle that was twice the price. He swore blind that was the one I ordered so when I got home I sent him my original email with the order on it. Never got a reply.
In the end I was able to get a beautiful flintlock off Adam. I still order stuff from Krank's such as flints, patches and balls etc because they are normally very good, but never again will I travel up there for anything.
I have the stainless Pietta 1858 model in .44cal but I do wish I'd had it in blue because they do look so much nicer. As for finish; I think the Uberti do seem better.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Cheers for the info.
I'm most likely going to have my choice shipped. I may try to get them to send a few pictures of the actual guns on offer - see which patina and wood floats my boat. It'd be but a few moments work on a phone. Hope they'll be agreeable to that.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

you'll be lucky.
someone like a and a gunsmiths who are essentially reselling guns supplied by kranks, is more likely to do that
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:58 pm you'll be lucky.
someone like a and a gunsmiths who are essentially reselling guns supplied by kranks, is more likely to do that
Are Krank not very helpful then?