Size of BP containers?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Size of BP containers?

#11 Post by dromia »

Daryll wrote:Thanks Penguino, thats a good guide, although one question... don't the regulations say that the powder containers shouldn't hold more than 550g..?
Swiss powders are sold in 2 1/5lb containers, I suspect that if this was illegal then it would have been be stopped by now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

When the current regs first came out, the max container size was 1lb. Since the world has gone metric, this was quickly changed to 1Kg, which is what Swiss powders are sold in.
Fred
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#13 Post by Pinguino »

I'm under Camb/Beds/Herts and in 2019 they carried out an exercise to establish that all BP holders had appropriate storage. The first version asked if BP was held in 500g Max containers. They quickly sent out a version 2 stating an error and changed the wording to 1kg Max containers ... so as previoulsy mentioned - 1kg is perfectly O.K. You should NOT decant BP into containers other than those they are sold in.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

mine is in a 1 pint milk bottle, I didn't decant it into that, the person who sold me it did...

my newly renewed explosive ticket also limited me to 2kgs of powder, after talking to them, it was then reissued with a higher amount. It seems the new tickets are limiting your holdings, even though legally you could hold more, now you can't
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

Thanks All for your comments....

I was planning the box last night and decided to make each compartment 110mm square and 350mm tall... that should cover all eventualities.

If I did need to decant into another container, presumably another powder container would be suitable..?? I have several empty Ramshot powder bottles...
davidh195
Past Supporter

#16 Post by davidh195 »

Daryll wrote:Thanks All for your comments....

I was planning the box last night and decided to make each compartment 110mm square and 350mm tall... that should cover all eventualities.

If I did need to decant into another container, presumably another powder container would be suitable..?? I have several empty Ramshot powder bottles...
HDPE container is ok.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......