.36 BP revolver loads

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

AL8

.36 BP revolver loads

#1 Post by AL8 »

I have a Pietta .36 cal revolver, sometimes called the sheriffs model.
At the moment accuracy leaves something to be desired, the ball gets a nice ring shaved off as it is loaded
What are other people using for loads?
Thanks
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: .36 BP revolver loads

#2 Post by Sim G »

21gns of FFFG black powder, with a .375 ball, Remington #10 caps. No grease, no wads, no filler. Use the same load in two different revolvers, an 1851 Navy by Uberti and a 1862 Police 4", also by Uberti.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ultonia

#3 Post by ultonia »

I have a Whitney Navy and Uberti Colt Navy 1851

I shoot the following load in both:
.380 ball
cci 11 caps
15gr Swiss 2 (FFFg)
0.7cc semolina (measured out with yellow Lee scoop)
Ball topped with Nivea
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

What Simon says.

Nivea and semolina or any such filler are a complete waste of time and resources and only contribute to a nastily fouled gun.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ultonia

#5 Post by ultonia »

If I don’t use some kind of lube either on top of ball or using a wad, my shots go wide.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Sounds like poor fit or some other issue, your are treating a symptom rather than finding the cause.

What do you think the lube/filler does to stop your shots going wide?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

ultonia

#7 Post by ultonia »

I believe lube keeps the fouling soft rather than letting it build up.

The filler doesn’t do anything for accuracy in itself. It allows me to use less BP but still have ball up to lip of chamber.

I must try it your way to see what difference it makes.
dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

The lube "nivea" just makes the gun clarty and keeps the fouling spread across the gun and makes cleaning a chore.

You are using a quality powder and the fouling is soft whatever that means anyway.

I can get at least half a dozen cylinders from my revolvers before there may be some binding at the forcing cone but a quick rub with an Aquoil dampened cloth sorts it. If for any reason I don't want to rub down then I may use a beeswax impregnated felt wads every second or third cylinder.

When Colt and the rest were selling BP revolvers back in the days when they were the cutting edge in firearms there was never any mention of wads and lube. If 'twas good enough for them then 'tis good enough for me especially as it gives good results on the target.

What benefit is there in having the ball at the lip of the chamber?

If the chambers are true then what difference does a 1/4" or so travel make.

Personally I fill the chambers with powder leaving enough room just to seat the ball, I do this as the round ball needs to be driven hard for any accuracy

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Just as Adam says. The so called "enlightened" today are convinced that everything that went before is somehow inferior to today's thinking. Makes you wonder how our prehistoric cousins wee able to leave the caves. (Sunderland will always remain the anomaly in those regards)

I will also support the practice that getting a ball to sit as close to the lip of the chamber as possible is also pointless. There is a cylinder gap. It's not like sitting a bullet off the rifling. Whether the ball is 1/64th of an inch below or 1/4 of an inch below, that cylinder gap still has to be "jumped". In fact sitting too high in the chamber might put you at a disadvantage in terms of velocity. Gas will vent off via the cylinder gap before the ball has had chance to get started properly if sat too high. Even a 1/4" will give the ball a far better head start in accelerating before the leak.

Get rid of all of that crap out of the chamber and replace it with powder you'll be surprised at how wrong you had been doing it before hand.... ;-)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ultonia

#10 Post by ultonia »

Thank you. I’ll give it a go.