whats the best material to make some nipples from

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Tony-c

whats the best material to make some nipples from

#1 Post by Tony-c »

trying to help a mate out with having some nipples made. About inch long overall, 2mm hole, .215 dia for cap, and threaded 1/4 bsf

any specific material best to use?

I have zero knowledge on black powder, but as its not really a pressure bearing part I didnt think it that important
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: whats the best material to make some nipples from

#2 Post by 1066 »

Well good ones are made from Beryllium copper, some are platinum lined and some Ampco, however they are also made of stainless or carbon steel.

Not really a high pressure problem but the gas jet is very erosive, it depends how much they will be used. They also need to withstand a repeated hammer blow and not round off when trying to remove them if they are a bit tight.

I think the thread is usually 1/4-28 UNF not 1/4 bsf 26tpi
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#3 Post by glevum »

Machining Beryllium Copper is very hazardous.

The dust can be deadly.
andrew375

#4 Post by andrew375 »

I've made them from ordinary mild steel, for Enfields and revolvers. Worked fine, flash holes only slightly enlarged after close to a thousand rounds over 15 years or so. If you want to go for something better then a machinable stainless will be the way to go. Btw, nipples are a pain to make due to the number of machining stages. The critical feature is the cone, get it wrong by even a small amount and either the cap won't go on or it will simply fall off.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.