Minie ball

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Deadeye18

Minie ball

#1 Post by Deadeye18 »

Hello chaps,I just purchased a. 577 Parker hale 2 band enfield which I'm wanting to shoot ASAP so does anyone know where I can buy minie balls from? I looked on kranks site and he's out of stock plus they seemed really expensive but then again they were pedersoli made and all their stuff is dear. Im limited to a 25 and 50 mtr range so would roundball do the job just about as well till I find some minies?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Minie ball

#2 Post by dromia »

Do a search this has been done to death and recently so, look for Dahonis's posts.

If you must have Minies then casting your own is the only really viable way to go, buying cast bullets is a lottery at best and even if they are the right size they are invariably too hard.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Deadeye18

#3 Post by Deadeye18 »

I'm trying to find minis because that's all I've seen used in these rifles most notably by Rob on britishmuzzleloaders YouTube channel. I'd like to cast my own but I have a 3 year old that is my second shadow so can't be done plus I don't have a clue where I could source the lead.Ill check out dahonis's posts. Cheers.
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#4 Post by legs748 »

Find lead by networking and being cheeky, mention it to as many people as possible, at work, in the pub etc. You will be surprised just how many people have a bit tucked away they are willing to part with. I have a two year old so I know finding time is hard, I cast and reload when he’s in bed or out with his mum. Casting is a bit of an art and a lot of a faff but it doesn’t take long to get the hang and it needn’t be expensive.
It was working when i left it...........
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by Vossie »

Try this guy he is very helpful
http://www.tfsa.co.uk/black_powder.htm
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by Vossie »

If your looking for a mould, Charles Higginbottom, he does not have a website or anything modern.
His details can be found online, very helpful and fair prices.
Once you know your exact bore size will make up the mould.

Some of the minnie bullets from my Charles Higginbottom mould.
Attachments
20200126_202222.jpg
20200126_202721.jpg
andrew375

#7 Post by andrew375 »

You should plan on casting your own. When you do you will know why they cost so much. Over the years I've known several people who went down the buying minies route without success. Either the bullets were cast from type metal so way too hard or they arrived so damaged they were unusable. Get the proper Lyman mould, the model number has the PH (for Parker Hale) suffix. For lube I use 50/50 beeswax and vaseline.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

As this is a nigh on three year old thread resurrection/post count clocker then I would suspect that the OP is sorted or lost interest by now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/