Martini Henry 577/450 Range Orders conflict

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

Martini Henry 577/450 Range Orders conflict

#1 Post by falco67 »

I have been shooting at a new to me range recently, and I cannot shoot my Martini Henry 577/450 because the cartridge make up is in conflict with the range orders.

They State "The mixing of different powders or propellant in home loaded ammunition is strictly forbidden. This ban includes and extends to all nitro and black powder types. Included in this ban are any powders or propellants making up duplex or triplex ammunition, the use of inert fillers, pyrodex and non commercial nitro/black powder. Only one powder/propellant is permitted in any ammunition.

I have no intention of wanting to/or intending to try and circumvent this range order, but I did wonder what the reasoning is behind the order, because as far as I know, inert fillers are used in a number of black powder firearms/cartridges without problems.

Has something happened that I have no knowledge of?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Martini Henry 577/450 Range Orders conflict

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Sounds like the ranges own rules.
Might be worth engaging with them over this.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#3 Post by 450 Martini »

I can understand the prohibition on duplex loading, but the ban on inert fillers and pyrodex; a safe and widely used blackpowder substitute defies logic.
Looking through my notes i see the specification for the later solid drawn brass Martini Henry ammunition does include a inert paper tube to reduce case capacity.
falco67

#4 Post by falco67 »

450 Martini wrote:I can understand the prohibition on duplex loading, but the ban on inert fillers and pyrodex; a safe and widely used blackpowder substitute defies logic.
Looking through my notes i see the specification for the later solid drawn brass Martini Henry ammunition does include a inert paper tube to reduce case capacity.
The range orders are not up for discussion but then I only go there as a guest and I can shoot it elsewhere.

I would be interested in a method of reducing the case capacity though. I have got a dozen of the solid drawn brass cases so If you could point me in the direction of the inert paper tube insert info that would be appreciated. In the mean time I'll have a google.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Stiff card wide enough to go from the inside base of the case to the shoulder.

Long enough to take up as much space as is required, wrap round a pencil and insert into the case, it springs back a but and is then pushed out to the walls when you add the powder.

This method means that there is cardboard residue left in the case after firing to contend with.

I prefer to use blotting paper soaked in saltpeter as this combustible.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
falco67

#6 Post by falco67 »

Thanks Adam.

I have just been on google and found an old post on another forum, you are still answering the same questions 13 years on. Thanks
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by nunhead »

"The range orders are not up for discussion "

Sounds like SO many Clubs, where the R&Rs are written and then become like Pontius Pilate ;-)
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#8 Post by FredB »

providing that the case is a least two thirds full, air is the best filler.
Fred