Percussion revolver - 54 bore vs 120 bore

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Percussion revolver - 54 bore vs 120 bore

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi , I am looking to get an old percussion revolver.

I have seen 54 bore revolvers and have seen 120 bore.
The 54 bores look massive, and the 120's look more pocket revolvers.

Does anyone own or have fired both in comparison, is 120 bore too wimpy, or considered less desirable etc ?
Looking at prices on the net, it appears the 120's (Depending on the model) ask more money. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

The Capandball man on youtube very inspirational to say the least...

Thanks in advance
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

Re: Percussion revolver - 54 bore vs 120 bore

#2 Post by stuarta »

IMG_0129.jpg
Hi Dirtbag
I have attached a picture of my 54 and 120 Tranter revolvers, you can see the 120 is half the size of the 54. in the hand they both feel balanced and comfortable but for shooting the 54 is way ahead in accuracy and the distance that it can be shot at. The 54 is competitive against any reproduction percussion revolver except for the very expensive Hege and FWB copies. The 120 is only shot against other pocket revolvers at 5 and 10 meters and is more fun than serious shooting.
I am an enthusiast, not an expert and my advice is based on shooting regularly and not collecting. If you are only buying one and you want to shoot it regularly go for the 54, take out and save the original nipples and buy some modern nipples from Peter Dyson that have the correct thread and take the no 11 percussion caps. You will have one big smile every time you use it. Buy the 120 and you will have lovely pistol but will probably only shoot it once a year and it will be part of a collection.
I think it was Adam that recommended the book to me, The English Revolver, the collectors' guide to the guns, their history and values.
by George Prescott. There is a tremendous amount of information in the book and it also covers the 48, 80, 90, etc revolvers.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

stuarta wrote:
IMG_0129.jpg
Hi Dirtbag
I have attached a picture of my 54 and 120 Tranter revolvers, you can see the 120 is half the size of the 54. in the hand they both feel balanced and comfortable but for shooting the 54 is way ahead in accuracy and the distance that it can be shot at. The 54 is competitive against any reproduction percussion revolver except for the very expensive Hege and FWB copies. The 120 is only shot against other pocket revolvers at 5 and 10 meters and is more fun than serious shooting.
I am an enthusiast, not an expert and my advice is based on shooting regularly and not collecting. If you are only buying one and you want to shoot it regularly go for the 54, take out and save the original nipples and buy some modern nipples from Peter Dyson that have the correct thread and take the no 11 percussion caps. You will have one big smile every time you use it. Buy the 120 and you will have lovely pistol but will probably only shoot it once a year and it will be part of a collection.
I think it was Adam that recommended the book to me, The English Revolver, the collectors' guide to the guns, their history and values.
by George Prescott. There is a tremendous amount of information in the book and it also covers the 48, 80, 90, etc revolvers.

Hi thanks very much this is really helpful.
I am looking at a Deane Harding (aware of the spring issue), nice one for sale 120 bore with case, and a scuffed up 54 bore.
Does conical bullets make a difference ?
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#4 Post by stuarta »

I have never shot conical, if you send me the model, maker, where it was proofed, serial no if you know it and any other info I will look up recent auction values for you, you don't need to say where they are for sale.