Baker Rifle or Whitworth?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

James84

Re: Baker Rifle or Whitworth?

#11 Post by James84 »

I've seen that Peter Dyson list rifled barrels for £500. Once I have affixed the bayonet lug and sights, I could well swap out a smoothbore...

I'll get in contact with a few of the replica manufacturers/suppliers and see if this is feasible.

I saw a Canadian website that had some very high quality replicas (or so they appeared) and their comment on the page was that 'these are smoothbore, however the channel has not been drilled to allow use as a firearm'. They also state that the frizzen is case hardened to allow 'good sparks'. It does sound like people convert them.

Time for research!
Deadeye18

#12 Post by Deadeye18 »

Try Derbyshire arms ltd.Im sure they had baker rifles for about 1500 ish quid.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

They are built on Indian guns and from what I have seen of their work not great quality, good enough for a re-enactor wanting to play at soldiers but from my perspective as a shooter of historic firearms they are not worth the money.

As has been said already a search will reveal this ground has already been covered here.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
James84

#14 Post by James84 »

dromia wrote:They are built on Indian guns and from what I have seen of their work not great quality, good enough for a re-enactor wanting to play at soldiers but from my perspective as a shooter of historic firearms they are not worth the money.

As has been said already a search will reveal this ground has already been covered here.
Am I being stupid? I searched the forums for the words 'Baker Rifle' and got 8 pages of results, none of which covered this topic? If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated as I'm struggling to find any reviews/opinions.

I'm especially interested in the copy sold by Derbyshire Arms as I've just looked on their site and it says a rifled repro starts at £1400. Or is this one of the Indian repros you mention? I've just not seen anyone else selling a rifled copy, only smoothbore so I'll drop them an email and see what they say.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#15 Post by channel12 »

Unless you have already I would suggest you watch the YouTube video's by Rob of British Muzzleloaders and his experiences of loading for and shooting his repro Baker rifle. it seems to suggest that although the range and accuracy of the Baker was a vast improvement over the standard issue smoothbore musket it wasn't the super sniper as depicted in the Sharpe novels. However if you really want one and have a spare £4500 there's an original on gunstar.
James84

#16 Post by James84 »

Several times now :)

I recently had a conversation with Rob through another forum. He was extremely helpful.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#18 Post by Triffid »

Henry Kranks advertise them in different configurations and quality
dromia
Site Admin

#19 Post by dromia »

Smooth bore Indian shotguns, inert, or original (a Ketland at £6,500!).

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

@nd

#20 Post by @nd »

I have had a rifle on order from Peter at Aldhurst for about 18+ months. Peter is great at keeping you informed but the rifle Shoppe are incredibly slow.