Smooth bore Musket accuracy.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Smooth bore Musket accuracy.

#1 Post by dromia »

I have been getting a little bit peeved in reading colonials history of the British army during the American revolution.

The accepted wisdom seems to be the the British soldier was poorly trained, had a musket that was totally inaccurate and were told not to aim.

'Pon digging further into regimental histories and contemporary accounts it seems to me that the contrary was in fact true, the average British soldier was pretty well trained and disciplined and most of the soldiers serving in the colony would have had at least 5 years under arms, there are contemporary accounts of companies and battalions practising aiming at marks and even records of a light company where its soldiers were told to find the best "load" for their muskets and then to replicate it by making their own cartridges.

I have always found smooth bores to be pretty accurate within the limitations of the projectile the round ball, provided the ball was centred in the barrel with a patch, wad or cartridge covering and driven hard to over come the ballistic limitations of a round ball then half man size accuracy was easily achievable out to 100yrds.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been revisiting smooth bore musket shooting with and early Pedersoli "Brown Bess" are a reproduction the Pedersoli offering leaves quiet a bit to be desired in the accuracy department being a sort of hybrid 'tween long and short pattern models with a stock the looks at best period, however it is a well made and fitted gun that functions flawlessly and is a fine shooter.

I have been working with two loadings the first is my rendition of the issue cartridge of the day, a 0.690" ball over 130 gns of Swiss 2f Powder wrapped up in a lining paper cartridge bound together with linen thread. The second loading is 125 gns of Swiss 2f Powder, a tow wad, a 0.732" ball and another tow wad to hold in place. 2f powder from the cartridge was used to prime the pan in the first instance and a pinch of Swiss Nothing B powder in the wadded load

'Pon shooting there was very little tween the two loads with the cartridge load at 4" at 50 yrds and the wad load a bit larger at just under 5" at 50 yards. It took a couple of round for the barrel to settle down when being shot from clean after that you would get 10-12 rounds into the group before the fouling started building up enough to interfere with a consistent load column and the shots started to move out of the group but still well on target.

The main drawback for shooting for accuracy and group with these guns it the lack of sights especially a rear sight as the bayonet lugs works as a fore sight. This combined with a shiny reflective barrel makes getting repeatable sight pictures a real challenge.

With a proper load, and I think the issue cartridge was most likely a proper load, then the idea of a well undersized bare round ball bouncing down the bore is a myth. The paper acts as an all round wad centring the ball in the barrel combine that with a stout charge to get its velocity up to keep it going over distance and the results are surprisingly good and consistent.

Anyway the proof of the pudding is in the shooting, here is todays first target shot at 50 yrds rested, seated, from the bench the highest shot is the first from a clean barrel, the next highest is the second shot and then the rest just settled down into the group of five, this particular target was shot with the tow wad load.

Here are some of the musket in action.

The made cartridges.

Now obviously standing in the line of battle, facing a live enemy with round shot, canister and ball whistling round your ears, comrades falling right and left, clouds of blinding white smoke interspersed with bright flashes and an over powering, pervasive, deafening noise combined with gut wrenching, trouser filling fear is not conducive to accurate shooting. However the British soldier was renowned for his stoicism and steadiness under fire, no doubt from his thorough training and was able to deliver devastating volleys at close range, combining the qualities of the British soldier, the Brown Bess musket and loaded with properly constructed issue cartridges and we have a formidable weapon when properly led, that works because of its training, skill and courage of its soldiers and the quality of its equipment, rather than what a lot of experts would tell was an affair of death by luck or lack of it.

There is far more to the smooth bore musket than smoke, flame and noise.

But then what would I know? I don't have a youtube channel.

"Thank you both Ross and Joe for the photographs"

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Re: Smooth bore Musket accuracy.

#2 Post by legs748 »

It would be interesting to repeat this test, standing, loading with the issue ramrod, with a tight stock around the neck with an evil bar steward of a sargeant shouting the timing in your ear to see if there is any discernible difference between loads. Yes the musket and the ingredients of the load may be well capable in the hands of an experienced modern shooter with all the science and learning of the last 200 years under the belt but I’m sure 50yd, seated, rested wasn’t in the napoleonic era training curriculum.
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I agree and I think I covered that point well enough in the last paragraph.

However what shooting resting does show is the with the issue load there is far more accuracy capability to the smooth bore musket than many of the experts would have it us believe so the starting point is sound.

Fortunately I have never had to serve in a disciplined service but I can imagine that in the heat of battle shooting accuracy differs greatly from the the accuracy potential of the shooter and firearm regardless of the period or the gun.

My simple point is that the smooth bore musket is more accurate when loaded with the issue cartridge and load than we are lead to believe by the historical "experts". I am no re-enactor so do not do this living history stuff, I am a leisure shooter that enjoys my guns and happened to notice something contrary to the current perceived wisdom.

Sorry I bothered sharing. It will not happen again.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dorset_shooter
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Dorset_shooter »

dromia wrote:
My simple point is that the smooth bore musket is more accurate when loaded with the issue cartridge and load than we are lead to believe by the historical "experts". I am no re-enactor so do not do this living history stuff, I am a leisure shooter that enjoys my guns and happened to notice something contrary to the current perceived wisdom.

Interesting in both historic and modern thinking, I generally would have avoided shooting smooth bore rifles because all you are ever taught is lack of accuracy, can't hit a barn door type shooting which wouldn't have appealed to me.

Pics are not working for me? Perhaps a few of the gun as well?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Not my cup of tea but an enjoyable read and brilliant pictures :good:
DVC

#6 Post by 1066 »

That is far better accuracy than I've been led to believe - I've seen Ruger 10/22's that struggle with 4" at 50 yards. Have you had chance to try the same exercise at 100 yards Dromia? I would guess that accuracy degrades quite quickly over longer distances, but how much I have no idea.

Why were the early muskets so long? Powder quality poor? Improved accuracy or velocity? or was the early musket considered a pike that shot a ball rather than a gun that you could fit a spike on?

Any idea of the reliability of the flintlock in field conditions - Say the second shot of a rank of 100, would 10% fail to fire? Must have been hell in the wet and wind.

I strikes me that many "researchers" don't really have a clue, just regurgitating stuff they have read and relying on their target audience to know no better. I recently read a factual book about Waterloo saying the stink of cordite hung heavy in the air.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

dromia wrote:I agree and I think I covered that point well enough in the last paragraph.

However what shooting resting does show is the with the issue load there is far more accuracy capability to the smooth bore musket than many of the experts would have it us believe so the starting point is sound.

Fortunately I have never had to serve in a disciplined service but I can imagine that in the heat of battle shooting accuracy differs greatly from the the accuracy potential of the shooter and firearm regardless of the period or the gun.

Some are interested even if its not my normal thing . Always think that some rifles have been given a mystica magical quality and this makes you think the opposite could be true of smoothbore muskets .
Obviously the stress and pressure of the battle would have taken its toll as mentioned above ...

Would they have allways used a solid projectile and never used a shotgun type load ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

jjvc

#8 Post by jjvc »

Good report, thank you for sharing Droomie.
Joe
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#9 Post by dodgyrog »

jjvc wrote:Good report, thank you for sharing Droomie.
Joe
I agree
Nice to get some interesting 'REAL' shooting threads
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Dahonis

#10 Post by Dahonis »

What scope mount can you put on it :run:

I'm amazed at how light it is!