FG 42

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: FG 42

#21 Post by saddler »

Sim G wrote:
saddler wrote:
Ask yer missus or one of the kids to show ya :55:

I can't, they're not speaking to me......... again!
I told ya before - if ya learnt Polish ya could speak TO them...
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#22 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks. Ah yes there it is.
The BD 42 is also produced as a straight pull bolt action rifle - though only on special order. More info you will find
What hoops do you jump through to import one of these or is just having an FAC enough?
saddler wrote:ON the website they also state that guns can be supplied as straight-pull bolt actions = so that'd be YES, they do (but only certain models, so it seems = so also NO :run: )
PaulR

#23 Post by PaulR »

Sim G wrote:
PaulR wrote:Here's my Straight Pull STG44 imported directly from Sport-Systeme Dittrich.

Now, I really am not the envious type, not by a long chalk. But, I have just had a massive attack of the green eyed monster!!!

I really, really like that! What's the details? Availability, price, cost of mags, dies, brass etc.

I need more info!!
Yep Sim G, as Saddler says click the link in my second post above and it'll take you to the manufacturers web site - trouble is it's in German and I can't see a way of getting and English version up.

From the Ersatzteilliste option it looks like the mags are 86 Euros each including 19% VAT. Ammo is available in the UK but it's fairly scarce so with that in mind, I got a set of dies from Hornady, Cases and heads from Graf & Son when I was in the States. Hornady were kind enough to e-mail me the load data they use for the ones they sell out there.

As I developed a load that worked, I couldn't get the die to crimp properly without crushing the case at the neck. So I had to load with no crimp on full length resized or new cases. This was leading to bullets setting back in the case as they were being fed, so I knocked up a dummy round, superglued the bullet in at the depth I required and used the superb service offered by Lee where they will tailor make Collet crimp dies for odd cartridges. Only cost $25 with a real quick turnaround.

They're fine now and it's cheap and fun to reload and shoot.

I did have a contact in the original company which reinvented itself as the one in my second link. She spoke pretty good English but as they were new to the straight pull market (they offer semi auto versions all of Europe except the UK of course) They didn't really understand what was required to make it legal here and what import paperwork would be involved. They really were quite amaturish at that time so I had to dig out the details and procedures on their behalf.

Import would be them to friendly Dealer here.

Anyway, I can try and find her details if you like and see if she works for the new company - then forward them on to you.

If you want to know more, pm me.

Cheers

PaulR
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
HALODIN

#24 Post by HALODIN »

If you use google chrome as your browser, it will auto-translate german to english for you.
PaulR wrote: Yep Sim G, as Saddler says click the link in my second post above and it'll take you to the manufacturers web site - trouble is it's in German and I can't see a way of getting and English version up.
PaulR

#25 Post by PaulR »

HALODIN wrote:Wow PaulR, that's beautiful. I take it straight pull means you cock it per shot. Is that right? How come all of their guns are listed as semi-auto?

I would love a type 1 fg42... fingerscrossed
Yep Halodin, it's fire one cock one I'm afraid unless you went for the other company's .22 version. It is the nearest you'll ever get to legally firing one in the UK unless you have authorised access to collections or are a S5 Dealer, I know one or two dealers who take them down to the range to 'Test Fire' them.

When I bought mine - must be about 4 years ago now, they also did a straight pull FG42 ( I know that there's a couple of those in the UK), all the other MP/STGs, 42, 43 and 44. I don't think the K43 was out at that stage. That would make a nice straight pull but I would have thought that the full size 7.92 is a bit pokey and you could have extraction problems. That might ease up after the gun is shot in or you develop a load that doesn't stick.

Cheers

PaulR
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
HALODIN

#26 Post by HALODIN »

That's fine with me, of course semi-auto would be better, but just squeezing a full size round out of one of those would be enough for me!

Once I have my FAC in hand, I'll be after an fg42. Absolutely stunning... :good:
PaulR wrote:Yep Halodin, it's fire one cock one I'm afraid unless you went for the other company's .22 version. It is the nearest you'll ever get to legally firing one in the UK unless you have authorised access to collections or are a S5 Dealer, I know one or two dealers who take them down to the range to 'Test Fire' them.

When I bought mine - must be about 4 years ago now, they also did a straight pull FG42 ( I know that there's a couple of those in the UK), all the other MP/STGs, 42, 43 and 44. I don't think the K43 was out at that stage. That would make a nice straight pull but I would have thought that the full size 7.92 is a bit pokey and you could have extraction problems. That might ease up after the gun is shot in or you develop a load that doesn't stick.

Cheers

PaulR
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#27 Post by saddler »

The company website has pdf options for English prices lists, etc.

Not cheap though...

It'd not be a case of importing one, as it's an internal EC transfer - so not classed as an "import" in the same way as if they were made in the USA for example .
Easiest way would be buy one in Germany in person, then bring it back into the UK & declare it to Customs at your point of entry...as long as your FAC has the required caliber authorisation first of course!
PaulR

#28 Post by PaulR »

saddler wrote:The company website has pdf options for English prices lists, etc.

Not cheap though...

It'd not be a case of importing one, as it's an internal EC transfer - so not classed as an "import" in the same way as if they were made in the USA for example .
Easiest way would be buy one in Germany in person, then bring it back into the UK & declare it to Customs at your point of entry...as long as your FAC has the required caliber authorisation first of course!
The German authorities do require certain paper work raised when sending firearms across Europe, can't remember exactly what as I have lost all the mails to and from Sports-Dittrich in the great Computer Crash of 2010 (No Backup - Doooooh!).

If you do go over there to collect you would have to have a European Firearms Pass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Firearms_Pass

Not sure about what details have to be on that i.e. each gun listed by serial number etc. If that was the case, you'd have to do a bit of tying up with the manufacturer to get that information before getting the EFP.

Cheers

PaulR
PaulR

PaulR

#29 Post by PaulR »

PaulR wrote:
saddler wrote:The company website has pdf options for English prices lists, etc.

Not cheap though...

The German authorities do require certain paper work raised when sending firearms across Europe, can't remember exactly what as I have lost all the mails to and from Sports-Dittrich in the great Computer Crash of 2010 (No Backup - Doooooh!).

If you do go over there to collect you would have to have a European Firearms Pass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Firearms_Pass

Not sure about what details have to be on that i.e. each gun listed by serial number etc. If that was the case, you'd have to do a bit of tying up with the manufacturer to get that information before getting the EFP.

Cheers

PaulR
Ah just remembered, as they are not a retailer, they have to work with Firearms Dealers so unless that has changed, they would have to ship to your favourite Dealer.

Cheers

PaulR
PaulR

Sim G

#30 Post by Sim G »

As lovely as that is ans as envious as I became, I've just seen the price list.....

If I had that money to spend on a rifle, I'd be driving a better car!! :lol:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!