Courtesy of the U.S. Government

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Courtesy of the U.S. Government

#11 Post by saddler »

Dave 101 wrote:The M1 has certainly been put to a lot of use over the years , interesting .
....and will see much use in years to come according to a documentary movie I saw on TV when I was a kid

Porcupine

#12 Post by Porcupine »

A few more...

Here with early night-vision equipment:

Here a rare version built for the Hessian State Police in Germany with a Mannichler style stock, Zeiss scope, and adjustable cheek-rest:

Sporter M1 carbine:

Tennessee Highway Patrol officer with his Bell helicopter and M1 carbine:

Motorcycle soldier with M1 carbine in scabbard:

rufrdr

#13 Post by rufrdr »

Porcupine wrote:Patty Hearst and members of the Symbionese Liberation Army robbed a San Francisco bank armed with sawn-off M1 carbines:

I remember listening to the news live radio feed of the shoot out between the SLA and the police and hearing the sound of the SLA carbines firing on full auto.

A lot of the Israeli M1 carbines showed up here in the U.S. along with disassembled M14s sans receivers.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
PaulR

#14 Post by PaulR »

ovenpaa wrote:That is one rifle I have always wanted to shoot, sadly I suspect there is no chance what so ever so it is nice to see this one, and in action as well.
It is still possible to shoot M1's in this country......well, straight pull versions anyway. As near as we'll get:

Here's mine, very rare and I know of only 5 others in the country, I'm not sure how many made it into the UK before the importer here ran into problems getting them from the US. We have five of the six I know about in our club and 4 of which have been bought from people all over the UK with the remaining two coming from the original importer.

Lovely round to shoot and easy to homeload for....cheap reloading as well. The .30 Carbine round has been classified as being a pistol calibre by the NRA so it can be shot on most ranges classified for gallery rifle. Surprisingly accurate out to 300 yds, one of my mates who has one was knocking the targets down @ 300 yds in the Enfield Challenge with his.

All good fun.

Paul
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

I turned the TV on last night and one of the 'Planet of the Apes' movies was on, and yep you guessed it, lots of M1's being used along with what looked like original M16's. The film was crap but it was interesting to spot the hardware for a few seconds.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#16 Post by Dave 101 »

Heres a good web site if you want to know which firearms were used in the movies .

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battle_for_th ... f_the_Apes

Dave
Porcupine

#17 Post by Porcupine »

PaulR wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:That is one rifle I have always wanted to shoot, sadly I suspect there is no chance what so ever so it is nice to see this one, and in action as well.
It is still possible to shoot M1's in this country......well, straight pull versions anyway. As near as we'll get:

Here's mine, very rare and I know of only 5 others in the country, I'm not sure how many made it into the UK before the importer here ran into problems getting them from the US. We have five of the six I know about in our club and 4 of which have been bought from people all over the UK with the remaining two coming from the original importer.

Lovely round to shoot and easy to homeload for....cheap reloading as well. The .30 Carbine round has been classified as being a pistol calibre by the NRA so it can be shot on most ranges classified for gallery rifle. Surprisingly accurate out to 300 yds, one of my mates who has one was knocking the targets down @ 300 yds in the Enfield Challenge with his.

All good fun.

Paul
That's great! If they imported more I would snap one up. Such a dandy, handy little rifle. Was it Cotswold Arms who imported them? I seem to recall hearing something about them getting in trouble for importing S5 M1 carbines without permission but I might be confused.
PaulR

#18 Post by PaulR »

Porcupine wrote: That's great! If they imported more I would snap one up. Such a dandy, handy little rifle. Was it Cotswold Arms who imported them? I seem to recall hearing something about them getting in trouble for importing S5 M1 carbines without permission but I might be confused.
I know of many others who would snap one up if they had a chance.

It was indeed Cotswold Arms who commissioned a company in the states called IMI to make straight pull versions for the UK market. I heard that the guy who ran Cotswold got in trouble with the police when IMI inadvertently shipped a semi auto version to him which was intercepted by Customs. After a court case, all charges were dropped because it was proven that he had no knowledge that it was a S5 version as he had not seen it nor was he in possession of it.

I believe he got his Dealers ticket back but where and under what name he is trading now is unknown to me.

I did hear that there was a company trying to do something similar with one of the US companies that still make carbines but that was a little while ago now and I've heard nothing since.

Rgds

Paul
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
Porcupine

#19 Post by Porcupine »

I have to wonder how the police ever found out it was S5 :?
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#20 Post by froggy »

re-

Here is an un-usual "made-in-France" accessorie obviously drawing on English inspiration for the USM1.
This dagger was designed to be used both as a fighting knife or a bayo for the USM1. They were made in 1957 in small numbers for the FuMaCo (French equivalent of the SBS/Seals).
Attachments
DSC00217.JPG
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/