Reloading records - is this a thing now?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Reloading records - is this a thing now?

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

Had my pre-renewal inspection last week and the subject of reloads came up.
It was suggested I keep records of all the ammunition I reloaded so as to keep track of how much ammunition I had at any one time.
Seems a pointless exercise to me unless I also keep track of how much I shoot and then subtract it.
If I need to see how much I've got ... it's easier just to physically count it.
Is this a new thing TVP have conjured up?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Reloading records - is this a thing now?

#2 Post by Mattnall »

A made up regulation.
By all means keep a record of the loading/recipes you've used, and any other information to help with your reloading but don't feel you have to do it to keep a check on yourself for them to hold against you.

As you say a pointless exercise and if you want to know how many you have you'll take a look in the cabinet.
I guess this is much like the old 'fire a round and keep the case for each firearm' regulation that some forces wanted to bring in.
It will not help solve any crime only be used to keep a check on you.
If they didn't trust you why give you an FAC?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Yeh I had similar conversation with Northants at my last renewal.

TBH no great hardship, I just made up a quick spread sheet on Excel and fill it out when we shoot, my wife shoots as well.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

There was also mention of the total of loaded ammunition I could keep before running over the 15kg total plus BP. Apparently there's a chart to help calculate this that the police can refer to.
I have a pretty generous quantity of the popular pistol rounds plus the usual old military bolt action calibers. I did a rough calculation based on lowest bullet weight, therefore maximum charge you could squeeze into a case and came up with a total just under 5kg of propellants if I maxed out my allowance. So I'm confident any calculation would pass muster - unless a massive thumb was placed on the total. It just seemed odd to have fixated on this after the total possessed remaining largely unchanged for the past forty years.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#5 Post by Lever357 »

The 15kg limit includes primers, shooters powder, loaded ammunition and shotgun cartridges so if you reload, you have to take into account powder etc
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

"It was suggested" says it all.

Suggest to the FEO he puts that requirement writing citing chapter and verse of the regulations.

As we say if it's not in writing it didn't happen.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I keep a record as I grew weary of the 'why haven't you bought any ammunition' question, despite me literally sending them photos of my reloading equipment and giving the guided tour around the man cave at renewal (when they started to actually come out to do it, rather than just being over the phone).

You've got to be going some to get over the HSE 15kg limit with just rifle/pistol ammo, but its pretty easy when you include shotgun cartridges and buy in bulk.
DVC
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

I can honestly say that I've never had this problem.
For the last 35 years only the occasional purchase of 1,000 rounds of .22lr has appeared on my certificate. At renewal time it's always been a matter of "Oh of course you reload".
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Showing them my buckets of spent primers is sufficient.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

Dark Skies wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 pm There was also mention of the total of loaded ammunition I could keep before running over the 15kg total plus BP. Apparently there's a chart to help calculate this that the police can refer to.
The rules are so contradictory.

The Explosives Regulations 2014 states that you can store "no more than 15 kilograms of percussion caps or small arms ammunition and powder" without an Explosives Licence (s7) .

Then goes on to state (in Schedule 2 Part 2) that "Ammunition intended for use in small arms" is exempt from the need for an Explosives Certificate.

The terms 'Certificate' and 'licence' seem to be used interchangeably.

Confused to say the least. wtf
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.