Reloading....don't

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

Reloading....don't

#1 Post by John Gunn »

Don't try to full length size necked rifle cases without using the prescribed lubricant....
I only wanted to do one case to check it would fit the new powder measure and couldn't be AR ssed to get the lube pad and tube out.
I was very careful to do it bit by bit...
But eventually it got seriously stuck.
The result was some time spent dismantling completely, cleaning, polishing the die and eventually putting it in the lathe and drilling the case out bit by bit... and scoring the inside of the die in the process.
New die I guess -£30 8-)

D
The Gun Pimp

Re: Reloading....don't

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The usual way to remove a stuck case is to drill and tap the base (say 8mm tap) and draw it out with a bolt, nut and spacer - easy if you have a lathe.
rox

#3 Post by rox »

John Gunn wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:32 pmNew die I guess -£30 8-)
Throw-in a stuck case removal kit for another £20, or make one, since you have a lathe.

What made you think you would get away with it?

Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#4 Post by Lever357 »

I have read if you put it in the freezer for a day or two, they will seperate
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by John Gunn »

What made you think you would get away with it? I'm an optimist... and i was very careful.......
Thanks for the freezer tip and the Stuck case removal kit... toooo late, the die is scored. But I'm sure others will benefit from that tip..
I will make a stuck case removal kit, looks fairly simple. I have the tools just need to make the widget thing to go on the bottom of the die.

D
graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#6 Post by graphictart »

Welcome to the club.
It happens (That's what she said)!

I'll leave these links here for anyone else who has had this happen to them. It may get you out of a bind.
Great ideas if you don't have a dedicated stuck case removal tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=COs4EySTbyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiK3yKzq0c

Regards
G
JohanM
Home club or Range: Fife & Kinross Fullbore Rifle Club

#7 Post by JohanM »

Very easy done with 303 cases. I used the pad and Lyman oil previously and got a few stuck even after lubing case. My P14 has a very tight chamber so using second hand brass shot from Lee Enfield require a bit of pushing back shoulders and sizing body. So I have used the home made extractor method a few times until I changed to Hornady One shot lube. Never had a problem after that. But I do understand the feeling of optimism if I only do it slowly it will be fine.