Looking for a sponsor at Budleigh Target Shooting club ...

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Looking for a sponsor at Budleigh Target Shooting club ...

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Hi Everyone,

At last ... I have just moved to Devon a week ago and managed to avoid unpacking boxes for an hour today to pop down to Budleigh farm for an introduction (met Bruce Harvey).

I really liked the facilities and equipment and I’m looking to get into .22LR prone and maybe benchrest (at least to start with).

Nigel explained that to progress things further within the club (as I am not a member elsewhere), that I need to find a sponsor to take me through the safety / probation period etc.

I wondered if there are any Budleigh members here who would be happy to sponsor me, or know of someone who could?

I live fairly close to Budleigh, but am happy to meet pretty much anywhere for an informal chat / coffee / pint / zoom, so that you can check out first I’m not a ‘complete loon’!

Best wishes.
Keith
Blackstuff

Re: Looking for a sponsor at Budleigh Target Shooting club ...

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Do they not have a probation period where you can pick up a sponsor?
DVC
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#3 Post by hitchphil »

Itskeith wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:18 pm Hi Everyone,

At last ... I have just moved to Devon a week ago and managed to avoid unpacking boxes for an hour today to pop down to Budleigh farm for an introduction (met Bruce Harvey).

I really liked the facilities and equipment and I’m looking to get into .22LR prone and maybe benchrest (at least to start with).

Nigel explained that to progress things further within the club (as I am not a member elsewhere), that I need to find a sponsor to take me through the safety / probation period etc.

I wondered if there are any Budleigh members here who would be happy to sponsor me, or know of someone who could?

I live fairly close to Budleigh, but am happy to meet pretty much anywhere for an informal chat / coffee / pint / zoom, so that you can check out first I’m not a ‘complete loon’!

Best wishes.
Keith
Are you an FAC holder for target rifle? (i.e. shooting in ranges vs over land)? if so by law no probationary period is required, clubs can set them, but many waive them after meeting & seeing you are a std no issues shooter & seeing FAC etc. If you have an NRA or club issued NRA SSC? then you have passed a safety requirement thats demanded by MoD. Is that not good enough?

Having a sponsor fulfils what purpose? At times I feel some clubs (especially NSRA orientated) put up too many barriers & hurdles to membership & especially to existing shooters. I have known people walk away from clubs that dont recognise their existing FAC/Membership/ability. Those clubs become closed & 'clone like' clubs & that imho is not good for the sport. they go way above the law & then that becomes normal when it isn't.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Itskeith

#4 Post by Itskeith »

Thanks for the replies:

I am an utter beginner so now FAC or firearms experience.
Yes they have a probationary period and I need a sponsor to take me through the process.

If anyone is a member there, or knows anyone who is, please can you let me know - it would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards.
Keith
AL8

#5 Post by AL8 »

Do they not have probationary days/evenings where you can be tutored on a 1 to 1 basis?
Itskeith

#6 Post by Itskeith »

AL8 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:29 pm Do they not have probationary days/evenings where you can be tutored on a 1 to 1 basis?
Not that I am aware of.

Still looking for a sponsor ... bump.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Does it have to be that club. Find another one in the area that takes on Probationary members.
Itskeith

#8 Post by Itskeith »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:59 am Does it have to be that club. Find another one in the area that takes on Probationary members.
Hi Alpha,

Good question and thanks for the reply.

The very local to me club to appears to have very good equipment and facilities.

The next nearest club(s) looks to be a significant further distance away - both in terms of time to get there and money spent on fuel. As a complete beginner, this seems madness when that time / expense travelling to a further away club could be better spent on developing marksmanship skills / buying lots of .22LR ammo!

Will investigate the other clubs further, but really hoping a local sponsor can be found ...
RDC

#9 Post by RDC »

Itskeith wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:24 am but really hoping a local sponsor can be found ...
Ask the club owner/secretary you met if they can ask around in the club if anyone is willing to take you on as a probationer. They have access to the membership and are best placed to ask around those who may be able to help you. There will usually be someone willing to do so.
Chapuis

#10 Post by Chapuis »

Is Budleigh Target Shooting Club a Home Office approved club or is it simply a private range facility?
If it is a H.O. approved club then the club is required under the regulations to provide instruction and supervision to probationary members by a suitably qualified club member.

I know nothing of Budleigh Farm other than advertisements that I have read in the past and it may be an excellent facility, but I wonder if it may be the right club for a total novice shooter and if you might be better served elsewhere. On the other hand it might just be a matter of miscommunication that simply needs to be cleared up.