Handloading confusion between .223 and .224.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Handloading confusion between .223 and .224.

#1 Post by Itskeith »

I’ve been reading up on reloading as it will allow me to save on reloads, or more likely be able to spend the same but be able to shoot more.

I thought I’d do some costings for .223, as it seems a good place to start shooting full-bore for short – medium range.

I was looking on one of the more popular reloading sites at target projectiles and only found (admittedly after only a quick search) two .223’s in 69g and 77g. Yet there were dozens of other .224 projectiles across all weight ranges, including the 80’s and 90’s.

This Is confusing me because:
- I thought 80’s and 90’s were also popular .223 projectile weights?
- I had never heard of .224’s and thought .223 was a hugely popular calibre!
- so do people use .224 projectiles in a .223 rifle (and if so does it need to be modified In some way to do so)?

If someone can please can someone clarify, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Keith
Alpha1

Re: Handloading confusion between .223 and .224.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

My advice is to stop reading up and go shoot some thing.
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Don't confuse cartridge names with calibres - it's a big subject - best buy a copy of Cartridges of the World or similar.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#4 Post by 450 Martini »

.224 is the correct bullet for reloading the .223 cartridge.
Reloading components are marked with their weight and physical diameter listed on the packaging as in many instances they are used for reloading a variety of cartridges. In a similar vein bullets that can be used for reloading .303 British are commonly marked .311.
The different bullet weights are for different purposes. A long range target load from a fast twist barrel will need a different bullet than a general use hunting load.
Part of the art of reloading is selecting the right bullet for the job with the right type and amount of powder.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

There are two diameter dimensions in a rifle barrel, groove and bore.

Then there is bullet diameter, usually somewhere 'tween groove and bore in condom bullets.

I suggest that for a sound basis in handloading knowledge you avoid the internet like the plague until you have read, absorbed and understood the contents of a good reloading manual, I would recommend the latest Lyman. Whatever book you get make sure that they have pressure tested their loads, avoid the Lee like the plague.

The internet is a dangerous place to learn things, better to approach it when you have a sound basic understanding of the process, components, terminology and practice from a reputable source, so that you can treat internet information with the proper circumspection. The internet is in no way a reputable or safe source.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

See posts #4 and #5

This threw me a bit when I started handloading as well. Just wait til you get a calibre that is primarily referred to in metric, yet all the bullets are in imperial (9x19mm was my example) 5mith
DVC
Itskeith

#7 Post by Itskeith »

Thanks everyone,

Good to know .224 is the correct projectile.

Yes Lymans is on the Christmas wish list (well, probably after 'Ways of the rifle').

Alpha:
Still waiting a completion date, then there will be a shooting club very close to the new house.
Hoping to get a visit in before Christmas (so go and shoot something now is not an option). Not long to wait now ... fingerscrossed
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#8 Post by Mattnall »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:00 am See posts #4 and #5

This threw me a bit when I started handloading as well. Just wait til you get a calibre that is primarily referred to in metric, yet all the bullets are in imperial (9x19mm was my example) 5mith
Wait until he starts looking at 38/357. 5mith
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

No probably about it.

I cannot emphasise enough how important for your well being owning and reading a good handloading manual is. It is as essential for handloading safety as a good analogue balance beam scale, not digital, and a set of check weights are

It should be a starting point not an afterthought after spending time getting your head scrambled by the 99% tosh that the internet serves up.

Every time you fire a rifle you are letting off a pipe bomb that you rest your cheek on ?!?!?!?!

On the range your and other peoples safety is your responsibility with handloads, the internet is the last place to find out about the process, get your manual now!

It will be worth every penny to you along with the people you shoot alongside and will help you make better use of places like this with better tailored questions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Itskeith

#10 Post by Itskeith »

Many thanks Dromia,

Ref:
Yes Lymans is on the Christmas wish list (well, probably after 'Ways of the rifle').
No probably about it.
Was mean't to be read as I'll probably buy The Way of the Rifle first, but will def Buy Lymans / read through at least twice and get a mentoring session or five (after I've found a suitable club and mentor), before i even think about reloading.

Your comments though are much appreciated and a great 'reality check' :good: