Landmarc and minimum age limits for use of Gallery ranges

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Cj10

Landmarc and minimum age limits for use of Gallery ranges

#1 Post by Cj10 »

The licences we sign with Landmarc, which allow use to make use of local military ranges include a minimum age limit of 18. This applies equally to CGR gallery ranges as welll as Field Firing Areas.

Is this age limit something which has been discussed/ agreed nationally by the NRA or is it at the discretion of the local military commanders responsible for said ranges. I can understand the issues with FFAs, but what is the issue with gallery ranges?

Ceri
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Landmarc and minimum age limits for use of Gallery ran

#2 Post by meles meles »

Plenty of cadets use our range, many of whom appear to be 14 or under
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Cj10

#3 Post by Cj10 »

meles meles wrote:Plenty of cadets use our range, many of whom appear to be 14 or under
Cadets are allowed on our Gallery ranges. Civilian clubs cannot allow anyone under 18 to shoot. This is an explicit condition in our licence, issued by landmarc.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

We have the same issue at Barry Buddon. Under 18s at the discretion of the camp commondant.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

At Lydd and Hythe, the military have specifically asked that civilian clubs encourage a "youth section". With regards to age, "as long as they can appropriately handle the weapon safely" is the guideline given. We have a number of members under 18.

Is it because Hythe ranges was where the original school of musketry was born?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

Before we gave up on hiring M.O.D. ranges some years ago our licence stated a minimum age of 14 for shooters.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#7 Post by Mike357 »

Perhaps the NRA should reissue a reminder to Landmarc and all affiliated clubs!
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#8 Post by Meaty »

Cj10 wrote:
meles meles wrote:Plenty of cadets use our range, many of whom appear to be 14 or under
Cadets are allowed on our Gallery ranges. Civilian clubs cannot allow anyone under 18 to shoot. This is an explicit condition in our licence, issued by landmarc.
Going by the response's it appears that it must be down to regional interpretation of guidelines or something similar! Such a shame as I know of at least one young chap in the club who is a brilliant shot and frequently put most of us to shame @ 600 yards :oops: (coached by his father who is a current GB F'er). He was safe, intelligent and a pleasure to shoot with but for the last couple of years has not been allowed to shoot and I think he has approx another 2 years to go before he is!
People like him are/were the future of the sport.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by mr smith »

Mike357 wrote:We have the same issue at Barry Buddon. Under 18s at the discretion of the camp commondant.

Same at R.M.Condor,probably one of the main reasons why we had to get our own range.
Mike357

#10 Post by Mike357 »

Here is a golden opportunity for the NRA to reach out, remind Landmarc and camp commanders of the rules and show those in the regions that there is benefit to being part of this organisation. Come on NRA, roll your sleeves up and give them a bloody nose!