Stacked Wood

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
DL.

Re: Stacked Wood

#11 Post by DL. »

I bought another couple of loads of wood in - winter is coming! :lol:

Wood £23 per M3, Van hire <£40 if booked well in advance, diesel £30. Real cost - I'm verging on being crippled! :lol:
Still it's satisfying to be a bit more self sufficient. O:-)
Jenks

#12 Post by Jenks »

DL..

Judging by the price you paid and looking at the Pics.. I'm guessing that the timber you bought was 'Pine.' Nothing wrong with that as long as you recognise that it will have to be stored until perfectly dry!!!!!! and I mean. perfectly dry!!!And burnt HOT! That is unless you are prepared to risk problems with the flu on your wood burning stove. By that I mean, the flue becoming gummed up with resinous deposits of creosote and the risk of a fire in the flue. This happened to me. After burning some *Privet* (and not much of it) the aspirator on the top of my Mega expensive stainless steel flu seized solid. I now only burn Hardwood.... Ash ,Beech, Silver birch, oak etc. A particular favourite is Hazel. And none of it is burnt until is has a moisture content of 20% Or less.

** it is a great shame because I had quite a lot of it left in my garden by my Nephew from whom I bought the house. And it was bone dry and burnt beautifully giving off lots of heat. Ironically only today I took it all, less the small amount I burnt, to the Tip!

Jenks
DL.

#13 Post by DL. »

Thanks for the advice Jenks, I promise I will season the wood I bought.
Chuck

#14 Post by Chuck »

Judging by the price you paid and looking at the Pics.. I'm guessing that the timber you bought was 'Pine.' Nothing wrong with that as long as you recognise that it will have to be stored until perfectly dry!!!!!! and I mean. perfectly dry!!!And burnt HOT! That is unless you are prepared to risk problems with the flu on your wood burning stove. By that I mean, the flue becoming gummed up with resinous deposits of creosote and the risk of a fire in the flue
Thanks jenks, that's good to know. Our neighbour has a wood burner and the chimney and patio area is just a creosote coverd mess. First stop Monday is the council office!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#15 Post by Jenks »

The other day I was looking at one of the many Sites that appertain to burning wood on stoves and I read this:
Horse Chestnut: A good wood for burning in wood stoves but not for open fires as it does tend to spit a lot. It does however produce a good flame and heat output. Good(for Stoves)
Having read that I remembered a 'conker tree' i spotted down in a hedgerow two years ago. So This week I went back..It was still there. I bought some home and as it registered about 20% moisture I burnt some in the stove. It burnt beautifully so I went back today and bought home about two weeks worth of logs. I reckon there is probably another three weeks worth possibly more there. the hedge row in question belongs to Hampshire County Council so I don't anticipate a problem with the land owner ;)

Jenks
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

if silver birch burns well, you might want to get in touch with you're local national trust 'ranger,' i belong to a NT volunteer group, and one of the reoccuring jobs is chopping out silver birch, sure they would be welcome of another resource to throw it at
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Jenks

#17 Post by Jenks »

bradaz11..

Thanks for the tip. I don't have much Birch in my log store. Mostly Ash, Beech,and Field Maple. I have a friend who burnt a lot of it and he had problems with his flu clogging up! I tend to burn Birch mixed in with other types. Thus far I have not had a problem. The only problem I have had was when I burnt some 'Privet logs' they were bone dry and burnt beautifully. But they produced a gum like deposit that I didn't notice :o . *Toast* the people who fitted my stove and (mega expensive ) twin walled flue came to add another section and discovered that the Aspiritor atop the flue was jammed solid covered in the sticky resin and I really hadn't burnt much of the Privet. I read of people burning any old stuff in their stoves and not having a problem. All I can say about that is good luck to them. My flue cost me far too much to risk burning anything but well seasoned hardwood. With a less than 20% moisture content.

** Toast... A top team. http://www.toast-fireplaces.co.uk/

Jenks