Reloading with TR140 and Elcho 17

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Reloading with TR140 and Elcho 17

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a can each of TR140 and Elcho 17 to test as a replacement for N140 and N560 the latter for 7mm SAUM and 6,5x285. Now the TR140 should be a direct swap for N140 but the Elcho 17, which is Reloder 17 as such is going to be different to N560

Sooo... has anyone made the move from N560 to Elcho 17 for anything and if so how did it compare?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

Re: Reloading with TR140 and Elcho 17

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hmm... QL would suggest a volume drop of around 10% powder to keep at a safe pressure which takes case capacity down to 90% so a shift to Moly could well be in order to get the case capacity back up and even then it would make very little difference. I can see this is going to be an interesting exercise if I do decide to proceed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

From what i could tell when i loaded and test fired Elcho 17 seems to behave the same as Reloder 17 so the figures should be similar on QL
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

What were you using it for, I assume it would work for heavier .308 projectiles.
/d

Shed Journal
20series

#5 Post by 20series »

Yeh my 308 using 200 smk's

Ran up loads from 45-46.8 and it showed the same results as RL17

I dont have a functioning chrono so havent got any velocity info but point of impact was the same
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#6 Post by pe4king »

I tried the TR140 in my AW yesterday with outstanding results at 300 (600 shoot soon), 46gr with a 155gr Nosler Custom Competition bullet.
My only observation was the rifle seemed louder but maybe that was the sound bouncing from nearby buildings (Hythe Ser 1).
No pressure signs whatsoever IN MY RIFLE
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was thinking of around 45.5 to 46.5 with 155 Laps and Fed 210M primers in my AE. I have all my load data for N140 but have not dug it out yet.

The problem one is the E17, I do not need the extra MV in the S&L, and on the grounds that I finished with a small V at 1200 running N560 I am not sure it would help much. For me it is the 7mm SAUM, should I try it and if so at what load, I really do not want to faff around too much with loads as I only have a finite number of shots through the barrel.
/d

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#8 Post by saddler »

Had a long chat with the nice man ya bought the powder off at Newark, as I bought the TR140 on the Saturday

Seems that the Elcho17 IS Reloader 17 - not an approximation or imitation - same powder, so should be exactly the same loading data, as 20Series stated
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes I was told that as well. The problem is people say RL17 works with the 7mm SAUM but QL which I use as a guide line and is usually very good (virtually spot on with N540) does not agree with the choice of RL17 and gets very hary early on which means I cannot run the case to capacity. Ideally I need to find someone who runs RL17 in the SAUM.

I suspect it might work better with another bullet I have in mind. Hmm... I hate burning barrels for the quest to a better load but it has to be done I guess. Just not a lot!
/d

Shed Journal
20series

#10 Post by 20series »

saddler wrote:Had a long chat with the nice man ya bought the powder off at Newark, as I bought the TR140 on the Saturday

Seems that the Elcho17 IS Reloader 17 - not an approximation or imitation - same powder, so should be exactly the same loading data, as 20Series stated
I thought as much, well thats good news some pennies saved there then