Neck sizing for straight pull rifles

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dirtbag

Neck sizing for straight pull rifles

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all, perhaps a quick one.
Looking at investing in some brass.

So, neck sizing brass for straight pull guns a yes or a no. Or is this depending on the gun ?
Thinking both ends of the age spectrum, e.g MKIII Ross rifle, M1895 Mannlicher to M14 ,AR15, SVD etc.
Cheers
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Neck sizing for straight pull rifles

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Some people prefer to bump back the shoulder, I have an eclectic collection of rifles and I neck size the cases for most of them. Inexpensive Lee dies were obtained from either Kranks or from eBay and I have never had any problems and the cartridges load perfectly, although it it suggested that the cases should be full length sized after a number of reloads to ensure uniformity. ( I will stick to neck sizing and I use this method on all of my military collection of rifles including my Schmidt Rubin K31 and M1911 straight pulls.)
dirtbag

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks very much for the information. I have always full lengthed with Lee / RCBS dies, no reason I guess stick to what I know (or thought).
I have been handloading over ten years and majority of my brass for my multiple calibers still going well, but starting to drop some now, so looking at biting the bullet and going for new brass. It's not cheap as we all know, so looking at increasing preservation / prolonging where possible
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Sorry just to clarify a point when neck sizing, if you have two rifles of the same calibre you have to keep the cases separate and neck size them separately as each rifle chamber will have a different effect on the brass case size after being fired.
Not only does neck sizing work the brass less, it also makes for less elements when reloading, I would also suggest periodic neck and shoulder annealing.
dirtbag

#5 Post by dirtbag »

Mauserbill wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:45 pm Hello
Sorry just to clarify a point when neck sizing, if you have two rifles of the same calibre you have to keep the cases separate and neck size them separately as each rifle chamber will have a different effect on the brass case size after being fired.
Not only does neck sizing work the brass less, it also makes for less elements when reloading, I would also suggest periodic neck and shoulder annealing.
Thanks , yes I intend to have brass per gun - cheers !
ukrifleman
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

I neck size brass brass for my Mod1889 and Mod 1911 Schmidt-Rubin's, but only after running fired brass through the rifles first to ensure that all chamber ok without force.
Any tight cases and I full length size.
I anneal after the third loading as a matter of course.

It is wise not to use brass that needs some force to chamber, as the straight pull design does not have the camming pressure that turn bolt rifles have and the op-rod is put under undue pressure.
This is particularly relevant for the K31, as the op-rod is of a weaker design than the earlier models of rifles and in extreme cases can cause cracks to the locking lug.
dirtbag

#7 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks for your advice!
fra150l

#8 Post by fra150l »

I neck size for my Ross - 303.
dirtbag

#9 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks all, so I construe that for M14 and SVD straight pulls stick to full length size ?