Mannlicher M95 carbine.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Mannlicher M95 carbine.

#1 Post by PeterN »

As well as the Swiss rifle, I also bought a Mannlicher M95 carbine in 8x56R at the same time from the same dealer. They were priced right so I knew I would regret it if I did not buy them. It is in nice condition and shoots well. It barks a bit with military surplus ammo but is not too bad to shoot. I will load some cast bullets for it in the future. This rifle and the K11 came in to the dealer from the same person who was giving up shooting due to age. He looked after his rifles well.
A few pics.
M95 full right.jpg
M95 action right.jpg
M95 action left.jpg
Regards
Peter
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Re: Mannlicher M95 carbine.

#2 Post by Richo »

Hi Peter
Nice condition M95 carbine, i had one but sold it earlier this year, aging eyes meant i couldn't use the sight very well.
Yes with factory ammo (PPU) there a bit pokey so i reloaded for mine much more enjoyable and pleasant on the shoulder, i liked the rapid action and clip ejection after the last round and people always asking if they could have a go with it.
I thought about looking for the long rifle but there not so easy to find as the carbines, mine was an original Austrian Carbine example rebuilt by the Bulgarians and probably used by the police as most were, i see yours is the cut down version.
You are probably aware but the weak link with these is the extractor claw, its quite easily broken especially if you dont use the en block clip, single loading will break it eventually as it springs over the case rim, and not so easy to find these days.
PeterN

#3 Post by PeterN »

I also have a long rifle in 8x56R and a Stutzen carbine in 8x50R. I have a supply of the clips and always use those. I have a few hundred rounds of the Bulgarian military 8x56R ammunition. I have reloaded some of the military 8x56R cases with cast bullets. I put a post on the reloading forum about that a little while ago. I have some cases ready to load, just got to decide what to put in them this time, cast or jacketed bullets. The Mannlichers are interesting rifles. I should shoot them a bit more than I do.
Regards
Peter.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#4 Post by Richo »

Hi Peter
Sounds like you have it all covered, i used a Lee 338" mould and sized them down to .333" (after slugging my barrel) they all seem to be in the .330" .334" range, then bought a Lyman sizing die from Buffalo in the states all worked well.
I then purchased a special mould from CBT in Australia but never got round to using it before i realised the carbine was too short a sight radius for my old eyes so sold it on.
Would have liked to try a long rifle out but never seemed to be in the right place at the right time to buy one, i bought some spare parts from Bulgaria before Brexit thinking they would dry up eventually which i still have, but i replaced my 8x56r with a variation for 7.5x54 French and bought a very nice MAS 36 which i realy like and enjoy shooting plus i can see the sight picture much better.
Ian