Reloading 8x50R

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Reloading 8x50R

#1 Post by PeterN »

After reloading the 8x56R military cases, I thought I would have a go at making some 8x50R out of the old military cases and loading them with the .330 lead bullets. So, I resized 25 of them in the 8x50R die and trimmed to length. The Kynoch rounds have a case length of 1.90 so I trimmed to this length. The 8x50R rifle I have is a Stutzen carbine. The proof marks on the rifle have 1.99 that I assume is the chamber length. So, cases primed and loaded with the same charge of Alliant 2400 as I used for the 8x56R and off to the range. I went to chamber the first round and a problem. The bolt wouldn’t close fully. Investigation revealed the problem to be the case necks were too fat. In my haste to try these out, I had neglected to make up a dummy round to make sure they would chamber. I then went home and dismantled the rounds.
All was not lost, however. When I bought the rifle, it came with about 90 cases made from Lapua 7.62x54R cases. These were trimmed a little bit short, but work OK. I loaded up 25 of these cases with the lead bullets. I made a dummy round to check these would chamber and they did. Off to the range again. I didn’t know if the rifle would shoot high or low, so a shot with a six o’clock hold and it didn’t hit the target. Another couple or three sighting shots with different hold points revealed the rifle was shooting very high. The final aiming point to get the rounds in the black was aiming at the top of the grass on the mantlet at the bottom of the target frame. A few strays, but most went in to the black. The stray shots are down to my eyes, as they occasionally took industrial action and refused to focus properly. The aiming point, a line of grass, wasn’t the best for accurate shooting. However, I am pleased with the result. The rifle will shoot OK with lead bullets. I will move to 200 yards next time. Hopefully, I will have an aiming point on the target at this range.
I now have 25 Berdan primed cases that don’t fit the chamber with a bullet in them. I suppose it is because the military brass is a bit thicker down the case where the neck was formed. I presume the necks could be reamed but I don’t have a neck reamer. I will leave them for another day.

The rifle came with 10 original Kynoch rounds. These are 244 grains and the bullets measure 0.323 in front of the case.
8x50R Kynoch.jpg
The rounds made from the 7.62x54R cases.
8x50R cast bullets clip.jpg
The PL7 target shot at 100 yards.
8x50R cast bullet target.jpg
I am not sure if anyone is interested in this, but traffic seems a little slow lately so I thought I would post something.
Regards
Peter.