Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

#41 Post by Mikaveli »

£900 / 30 is £30 each - even if that was an annual cost, that should be affordable to most if push came to shove.

But as a club cert lasts for multiple years, it becomes a pretty tiny figure - even for the smallest club?

I still think we should oppose the increase, but if we lose, I don't see it changing much?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#42 Post by Alpha1 »

A jump from £84 to £900 is no small change. The club I belong to has less than 30 members. 5 of the members work the rest are retired. The guys who are retired have been involved in shooting all their lives. We do not have any premises all our shooting is done on MOD ranges that we pay for. The Club has been running for 15 year this could kill it off.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#43 Post by hitchphil »

HALODIN wrote:Nope... :D

I fully support our official organisations challenging this and agree with the sentiments put forward, I just find it hard to understand how small, the smaller clubs must be if this is a pivotal point for them.
RDC wrote:You aren't called Jack by any chance, are you? wallhead
Many Uni clubs are 10-15 members & only operate 5-6 months pa, they are often near the minimum of 10 members for HO approval, the Sec can change hands 2-3 times over 6 years. Over 6 years of NRA affiliations & 1 of HO & 2 secretary changes the total establishment costs are ~£3500 thats ~ £50/member/year @12 members, (paid for out of a loan, charged at 5.2% compounded interest pa), & before costing for any kit, storage, transport, range time & ammo? & SUs don't contribute that much anymore.

What do you pay for club membership pa? were costs in larger clubs are shared more. Watch the Uni & small clubs fold, but I get the impression you don't mind much? your club is alright, its big enough so will be OK?

The point is £84 after 10years of RPI +1-2 % would be just less than £200 so what justification for proposing over £900!? to any club regardless of ability to pay based on size?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#44 Post by HALODIN »

If the worst comes to the worst and our finest students aren't entrepreneurial enough to raise a measly £900, then they simply deserve their fate. They could of course stop being victims, ask for donations, have a jumble sale, appeal for sponsorship, get a loan or pay it out of their own bloody money. It's not that I don't care, but I don't care about people who don't care to help themselves.
hitchphil wrote:I get the impression you don't mind much? your club is alright, its big enough so will be OK?
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#45 Post by Robert303 »

@ Halodin I do not know the 30 club membership details. The two I belong to vary. One is well run has an annual membership of £150 and shoots on a rented 25m range and on a military range. The other was badly run with a load of pensioner memberships at £20 and full membership of £80 it suffered a lot of factional infighting which did not help and ate up cash reserves. We are gradually sorting things out with no more pensioner discounts. However like a lot of clubs it had not built up a good cash reserve for emergencies and proper maintenance of the premises. Clubs depending on their size and circumstances should, in my opinion, be looking to build a good cash 'Buffer' .
If they are lucky enough not to have to spend it they can every so often reduce the annual subs / buy new targets / buy new guns. What is interesting is to take the expenditure and to split it by the no of members to show the cost to each member of things like insurance / affiliation / maintenance / heat and light etc. That's how I manged to show that our pensioners were being subsidised as their £20 was insufficient to pay all the charges.
Good communication is everything as if you explain WHY you are doing something such as raising subs you stand a better chance of doing it than when you just say subs must go up.
The proposed increases in this consultation are a classic example of the need to 1) Have a cash buffer and 2) making sure that ALL the membership are fully briefed on what is proposed and what effect it will have, in this case about £5 per year on the subs.
the running man

#46 Post by the running man »

£900 over 6 years is only £150 a year....hardly break the bank stuff....
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
davidh195
Past Supporter

#47 Post by davidh195 »

This is a significant percentage increase in fees for the small friendly club i am a member of, made more so with the ageing membership & as other costs are increasing also.

Halodin we could only dream of the the income from the size of membership Oundle receives, please all of you in large clubs spare a thought for the rest of us.

it is not always committees not wanting to amalgamate & lose their positions I & others I know enjoy shooting far more with a small friendly club than with a large one.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
HALODIN

#48 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the info. I think most people are realistic and as you say, if you explain the situation they'll accept the increase.

Blimey - Pensioner infighting sounds a bit wearisome... :D
Robert303 wrote:@ Halodin I do not know the 30 club membership details. The two I belong to vary. One is well run has an annual membership of £150 and shoots on a rented 25m range and on a military range. The other was badly run with a load of pensioner memberships at £20 and full membership of £80 it suffered a lot of factional infighting which did not help and ate up cash reserves. We are gradually sorting things out with no more pensioner discounts. However like a lot of clubs it had not built up a good cash reserve for emergencies and proper maintenance of the premises. Clubs depending on their size and circumstances should, in my opinion, be looking to build a good cash 'Buffer' .
If they are lucky enough not to have to spend it they can every so often reduce the annual subs / buy new targets / buy new guns. What is interesting is to take the expenditure and to split it by the no of members to show the cost to each member of things like insurance / affiliation / maintenance / heat and light etc. That's how I manged to show that our pensioners were being subsidised as their £20 was insufficient to pay all the charges.
Good communication is everything as if you explain WHY you are doing something such as raising subs you stand a better chance of doing it than when you just say subs must go up.
The proposed increases in this consultation are a classic example of the need to 1) Have a cash buffer and 2) making sure that ALL the membership are fully briefed on what is proposed and what effect it will have, in this case about £5 per year on the subs.
HALODIN

#49 Post by HALODIN »

I appreciate some clubs will absorb the costs easier than others, but £900/10 people is only £90/member over the 6 year period. That's only £15/year per member or to look at it another way, it's only £1.25/month per member. If the club has 30 members it's only an extra 42p/month per member.

As I've said, I hope our national bodies stop the fee increase for all the reasons mentioned, but if that fails - everyone can find an extra £1.25/month. Just shoot 2 less rounds a month...
davidh195 wrote:Halodin we could only dream of the the income from the size of membership Oundle receives, please all of you in large clubs spare a thought for the rest of us.
MistAgain

#50 Post by MistAgain »

I wonder if this is included in the full cost recovery ?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... w-12494580