Material Offcuts available

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: Material Offcuts available

#41 Post by Demonic69 »

With the part held by clamps attached the saddle, couldn't you bore with a tool held and turned between centres? Just a random thought before bed :-)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#42 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, the comparators are from solid 6082T6 and as I said before, the guides are dependant. The tube you have is just a piece of 5000 or similar and beware, the ID will be out of libe from the OD by a few thou.

Has anyone spotted the lumps of titanium yet, not sure if everyone got a bit and I did write titanium on one piece.

A final word, some/all of you will have failed experiments on processes or designs and despite this it will be very obvious as to what they are. I would much prefer you to just use them as small pieces of material to work with as opposed to trying to finish them, even worse to pass them to other people. We are proud of the reputation we have for innovation and standards and I hate the idea of someone ending up with something they think came from the SHED when in fact it came out of the scrap/offcut bin. This is very important to us and I would ask that you respect this wish.

If anyone wants any more just shout please as there are still offcuts and ideas in the bin and a new drive band on the saw tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#43 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa I assure you there is no way I would pass any of the items on to any one else. I will use them for my own use no way would I dream of doing any thing that would impact on your reputation.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my stupid questions I find any thing to do with engineering machining fascinating.
Alpha1

#44 Post by Alpha1 »

I have the plans for making a powered hack saw most of the bits will go on this project the tube will do for the runners if they are long enough.
Christel
Site Admin

#45 Post by Christel »

Come on you lot, you have had 6 weeks, what are you making, what have you got to show?

tongueout
Demonic69

#46 Post by Demonic69 »

I made a failed experiment but enjoyed playing with the mill :-)
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#47 Post by waterford103 »

any 25mm dia stainless bar ? I have made a muzzle brake for my 308 but it's a stainless barrel and all I had was some 1" mild steel - free-cutting at that. It won't blue properly a looks naff on my shiny new barrel.

sign92 sign92 :flag13:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Alpha1

#48 Post by Alpha1 »

Heat it up till not to hot it should not be red then dunk it in oil heat up again gently to burn the oil of. It should blacken it if you do it correctly.

I practiced with the aluminium bar to see if I could get a better finish using different speeds etc. I used the wedges to move some pulleys of a shaft. :good:
I screw cut some pieces. Some of the pieces were just interesting in them selves in that it shows the amount of work that goes into making some of your shiny bits and how easy it can all go pear shaped.
I'm glad I don't have to make a living at it I would starve to death. :lol: :lol: I messed quite a few bits up trying to use my milling slide what a total waste of money I would sell it but my conscience would not let me rest if some one bought it off me thinking they were actually going to be able use it successfully on a lathe. I guess it will go in my scrap bin and Ill just write the money off. :bad:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#49 Post by Ovenpaa »

Waterford, I am sure to have some stainless barrel here I can soon cut to length if that is any use to you?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Demonic69

#50 Post by Demonic69 »

Just used some of this to knock up a quick and dirty Benelli choke key :-)

I love having a mill