Sonic 45 Moderator marketed by Highland Outdoors - Thoughts

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Anson Deeley

Sonic 45 Moderator marketed by Highland Outdoors - Thoughts

#1 Post by Anson Deeley »

I was well impressed with the Sonic 45 moderator made by Neilson Industries in Denmark and marketed by Highland Outdoors. I saw one at my local RFD the other day. It has the over-barrel expansion chamber then modular removable baffle sections. Made of aluminium it is light. Selling price is about £225, plus or minus £15 either way.
Does anyone on the forums use one ? and if so what are your thoughts ?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Sonic 45 Moderator marketed by Highland Outdoors - Thoug

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Fascinating.

Jørgen Nielsen (Nielsen Gun Parts) was in partnership with Morten Krogh and they jointly owned Schultz & Larsen when it moved from Otterup. Nielsen went on to design the M97 Action. Now the very interesting part is moderators are all but illegal in Denmark and you need very special permission to own and use one, I have only met one Dane who was allowed to own one and it was for humane despatch reasons in built up areas.

There is only one moderator manufacturer in Rask Mølle and they are located just under the bypass, they build modular moderator systems to a very high standard and I just bet they are making the Nielsen moderators as well. The company?

Schultz & Larsen.

I have seen and handled the S&L moderator and it is of a very high quality and very effective on the 6.5x55 it was fitted to.

Thanks for asking this question, it has just filled in a big hole for me. :goodjob:

As an aside, I shot one morning with JP Nielsen who is a rifle maker in DK and I have a feeling is the father of Jørgen Nielsen, he allowed me to take a couple of shots with his hand built .50BMG rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I just checked and Nielsen Gun Parts and Schultz og Larsen share the same address.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Anson Deeley

#4 Post by Anson Deeley »

Thanks for that.
That definitely gives that moderator quite a few plus points for me. Very interesting how things come to be in a roundabout way, especially in the address. Good "cyber-sleuth" work ! J.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you :good:

We both have an interest in Danish rifles in general and Schultz & Larsen rifles in particular and were a bit sketchy on part of the history of the factory after it moved from Otterup. We were under the impression Jørgen Nielsen was no longer connected, or at least I got that impression when we met Morten Krogh last year so you can imagine our surprise to find they are in the same expansive factory.
/d

Shed Journal
Anson Deeley

#6 Post by Anson Deeley »

I bought a Sonic 45 Moderator with M14:1 thread for my Browning X bolt in .270 win.
The quality looks superb and by the design, I'm sure it will perform well. It's got all the features of the modular A-Tec plus the reflex expansion chamber. It comes with a comprehensive tool, bush and lube kit. On the gun it is light and not too much up front.
The history tells of taking over Schultz & Larsen of Otterup inSchultz & Larsen Otterup 1994.

So far, well impressed. I'm pleased to see that the Schultz & Larsen name is still associated with quality products.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will be interested to hear how it performs. With luck the Danes will be able to use them one day. Also nice to see the S&L and Nielsen products are over here, S&L has never been particularly well supported in the UK from a distribution and channel viewpoint, when we were after our first one it was all but impossible to find a dealer who was prepared to speak to us, virtually as if they did not want to sell the things.
/d

Shed Journal
Anson Deeley

#8 Post by Anson Deeley »

Sorry, I forgot to give you an update.

Performance, The moderator tames Prvi .270 unbelievably, from the loudest gun in two clubs I belong to, to something that sounds like an un-silenced supersonic .22 rimfire. The following night, the first time I shot it in anger, I dropped a good sized 4 point Sika in it's shadow. My friend who was 5-600 yds away didn't even hear the report !

So far so good. As you might know, I am not a fan of moderators. I might try reducing the size of the moderator, section by section and monitoring it's performance. Let's see how it goes.
Thanks for your interest.
John25

#9 Post by John25 »

Pics please.

:good:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Anson Deeley

#10 Post by Anson Deeley »

' Yer tis.
Attachments
120209160930001-2.jpg
120209160930001-2.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 4708 times