Ruger Precision Rifle - Couple of minor gripes

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Ruger Precision Rifle - Couple of minor gripes

#1 Post by phaedra1106 »

Picked up my 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday, overall very happy apart from a couple of mnior gripes.

1. The forend won't align squarely with the receiver you can see a slight camber on the picatinny rail that won't adjust out using the poor quality 2 part add-on mounting sleeve, when fitted you can see the splines don't align with those on the barrel nut underneath. It's only about .5 to .75mm off but if I had to fit a forward scope ring on it then it would be a problem. When I took the forend off to have a look there were quite a lot of metal shavings from sleeve, I think from the small single allen screw which locks it in position.

2. The bolt is catching the inside of the receiver when slid back/forwards and is already scratching and removing the blueing from the top of the bolt handle where it joins the bolt (the squared section), an extra 1mm clearance on the receiver channel would fix it.

As I said minor gripes bearing in mind this is a £600 rifle (even though we pay more than twice that for it over here), anyone else have similar issues?.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Whizzbang

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - Couple of minor gripes

#2 Post by Whizzbang »

Thanks for the info.

Did you go for the 20moa or 0moa rail? I assume 0moa or you wouldn't be talking about a forward scope mount on the forend.

Did you have to specify or is one a default option?

Let us know about any corrosion issues (on bolt or elsewhere).

Hope it shoots well for you. Looking forward to updates.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

It comes with a 20moa as standard, I don't think there's an option for anything else. The scope mounts are going on the receiver, I'd never fit one on a handguard :)

As I said it's only minor gripes, fitting a standard AR barrel nut would have been a better option than the two "C" clips that they use to increase the diameter of the one they use.

I was hoping to get it out today but my scope mounts are about 3mm too low for the new Sightron so I've ordered another set, should have got them while I was in the US at half the price!.
Whizzbang

#4 Post by Whizzbang »

phaedra1106 wrote:It comes with a 20moa as standard, I don't think there's an option for anything else. The scope mounts are going on the receiver, I'd never fit one on a handguard :)
I'd hope not- makes a mockery of "precision rifle"!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

If I paid £1200 for a rifle and it had those issues, it would be going back to the supplier.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

Luckily I didn't pay £1200 ................................. it was £1326 :o

On the good side I saved around £400 on the Sightron scope I bought in the USA plus some decent savings on the 80Kg of other shooting stuff we brought back :)
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#7 Post by Brian838 »

Where did you pick up the rifle from? I've had mine on order from ages :cry:
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#8 Post by phaedra1106 »

Ordered mine back in August from our very own Dromia :)

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

Once you've got the 6.5mm bug don't expect to keep your .308 for much longer!! I find it more expensive to load, heavier on recoil and follows a more parabolic trajectory over long distances. The only reason I have kept mine is because it is a lovely rifle plus the tracers area great for Sennybridge (however, now that I think about it I use the 900m target with my 6.5x47 to gauge windage...). Perhaps I should get my Tikka rebarreled to another 6.5mm!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#10 Post by phaedra1106 »

I did toy with the idea of selling the Steyr to fund the Ruger, then I shot it again and remembered what a lovely rifle it is to shoot, 42gr of Lovex S062 or Viht N140 with a 168gr Nosler and it's as consistent as a consistent thing that's been force fed a huge dose of extra consistency :)

Realistically if anything had to go it would be the Tikka 260 Rem, however, once again it's a pleasure to shoot in the MDT chassis so unless things get really desperate it won't be going anywhere any time soon either :)