223 lever release vs VZ58 MARS comparison

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

223 lever release vs VZ58 MARS comparison

#1 Post by Sixshot6 »

Out of curiosity, why has no done a side by side comparison between the two rifles? Speed, accuracy and what not? It must warrant some discussion at least.
James K

Re: 223 lever release vs VZ58 MARS comparison

#2 Post by James K »

I've seen both in action at a Bisley, neither shooter did particularly well with them compared to the guys they were shooting with and the VZ58 kept jamming.
Sixshot6

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

James K wrote:I've seen both in action at a Bisley, neither shooter did particularly well with them compared to the guys they were shooting with and the VZ58 kept jamming.
I will admit, my vz58 does not like certain ammo (privi). But my hardly james using barnual or ggg. I guess its early days like with straight pulls. Its not perfect but it works and we live in a imperfect world. Its a centre fire fun gun at the end. Things will get better though.
James K

#4 Post by James K »

Doubt it as far as the Mars goes, the SGC one looked better made and I think has lots more potential but is very expensive.
Sixshot6

#5 Post by Sixshot6 »

James K wrote:Doubt it as far as the Mars goes, the SGC one looked better made and I think has lots more potential but is very expensive.
I meant other systems coming. I know of at least a couple in the works. But it puts a smile on my face still does the mars for the same reason lbps do. Plus i think it might have led to a price drop on the lever release. Though still expensive. One group of people I feel for are the people who were early adopters of the 223 Lever release when it was still £5000.
toffe wrapper

#6 Post by toffe wrapper »

James K wrote:I've seen both in action at a Bisley, neither shooter did particularly well with them compared to the guys they were shooting with and the VZ58 kept jamming.

If it was the CSR chap with the SGC 223 he is new to CSR so his results are not a good way of comparing them.
Him and his mate shot it next to me all day sharing it and I did not notice any malfunctions.
bowji John
Home club or Range: Cornwall Full Bore Pistol club

#7 Post by bowji John »

What other system are on the way??

Is anyone applying the MARS system to AR15s?
Sixshot6

#8 Post by Sixshot6 »

bowji John wrote:What other system are on the way??

Is anyone applying the MARS system to AR15s?
Not necessarily MARS or Lever release actions (I don't know what else can be done, but life is full of surprises). I know of a gunsmith in connecticut who I have talked to, he as a result of that state's recent laws has been designing a system to let them have a rifle that nearly semi but still avoiding being defined as semi to avoid their features ban. He once asked me to send him a link to UK law to see if it was legal. I did, he read it for a week and believes what he is designing should be UK legal. He was meant to show the prototype in a couple of weeks but has been delayed due to work creeping up on him (Memorial day in the US came and everyone wanting work seemed to come in at the weekend that preceded it) and so the unveiling is delayed. I'll link a thread when he can. There is also talk, very substantial talk of other companies such as Lantac and a few others making something that they might unveil at the end of this year or early next year maybe. Essentially its interesting times. Only problem is time is what is needed to make stuff so we're waiting. Better to have something work right that not work at all.

Ideally the MARS applied to AR15's would be the way to go but I don't see that happening. On the plus side there are other developments.
bowji John
Home club or Range: Cornwall Full Bore Pistol club

#9 Post by bowji John »

Thanks for that

I'll keep my pennies for a little while longer...
James K

#10 Post by James K »

From what I've heard there are those that are full of promises and not a lot else, I don't expect much else fro the UK other than the SGC and Mars.