45/70 just put .45 down?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

Re: 45/70 just put .45 down?

#31 Post by spikedueller »

I have been following the thread with interest as being of an older generation my certificates always used to specify a caliber then a few years back it became the "norm" to have to specify the cartridge, my last renewal I was asked which .416" did I want. This has inevitably led to confusion in the licencing departments as 7x65R comes back as 7.65R causing more back and forth.

My recent certificate did specify 7x57 but .43" rifle when I asked for .43 Spanish, so it seems there isn't any consistency within departments let alone between forces. I would say though if my certificate came back with 45mm I'd join a club that fired on a field firing range preferably one with old tanks as targets.

In terms of ammunition you'd have to be sensible if you had bought a .45 Long colt on a .45" slot but tried to purchase .45 ACP ammo you would be in very sticky territory, try explaining that in front of a judge and jury so why ever put yourself in that position.

There were lots on anomalies in the handgun days, you always put .357/.38 so that you could own .38 Special and .357" magnum ammunition, can't remember what you had to specify if you had one of the Colts chambered in .45 Auto Rim as that was designed to take .45ACP and .45AR.

It never seemed to be a problem for .22" unless you specified .22"LR as technically you could shoot .22"CB/BB caps .22" short .22" long and .22"LR they are all.22" caliber. Stinger is an interesting one as is it a .22"LR? The case is longer the the standard .22"LR so the pedantic could argue you'd need to specify .22" stinger to buy it. I doubt any dealer would refuse to sell it to you if you only had .22"LR specified.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: 45/70 just put .45 down?

#32 Post by bradaz11 »

spikedueller wrote:
There were lots on anomalies in the handgun days, you always put .357/.38 so that you could own .38 Special and .357" magnum ammunition, can't remember what you had to specify if you had one of the Colts chambered in .45 Auto Rim as that was designed to take .45ACP and .45AR.
I've had a similar thought with my 38S&W, I have a 38/357 allowance on ticket already, and in my rifle I own, I can use either 38spl or 357mag in it, so I'm happy, but 38S&W isn't interchangeable with them, so I have requested a separate slot for this ammo, but included a note asking if it came under the umbrella of 38/357, to increase this allowance by the amount I'm asking for 38S&W

waiting to see how that comes back
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns