FAC application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Re: FAC application

#11 Post by Meaty »

Thanks for clearing that one up.

With regards to "(not specifically aimed at you) Does <anyone> flick through the guidance any more before asking questions?"
I had an (abridged) version of the guidance notes sent to me along with the renewal forms and there was no mention of specifics, just "no members of your immediate family"
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you have used him as a referee? At the time of application I considered him to be a good friend who knew me well, regardless of the fact that I was going out with his daughter.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm with Zanes on that one, and for me its just the potential for the FLD to be arsey about him being your girlfriends dad and thus the potential to delay the application processing. Nothing actually 'wrong' with him and technically not contrary to the rules but its just a potential problem that could be avoided by using someone else. Fortunately your FLD weren't bothered :good:
DVC
zanes

#13 Post by zanes »

Blackstuff wrote:I'm with Zanes on that one, and for me its just the potential for the FLD to be arsey about him being your girlfriends dad and thus the potential to delay the application processing. Nothing actually 'wrong' with him and technically not contrary to the rules but its just a potential problem that could be avoided by using someone else. Fortunately your FLD weren't bothered :good:
Exactly this, on the basis that he could be seen as "sort of" family and they might have been minded to ask for a different one. My FEO on initial grant also mentioned they didn't like seeing employees give their manager/employer references.

It's the same reason I rang my partner's old employer (much to the HR woman's bemusement, it would seem) and explained that as a "non cohabiting partner" I did not feel I was suitable to give a reference. Did the company explicitly say I couldn't? No, but it'd be a pretty damning suggestion of conflict of interest if it ever came to it. Equally I would never ask my partner to be a referee on my FAC renewal.

The guidance I was referring to is (now) linked in my signature, it's not the application form guidance notes.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#14 Post by Meaty »

Zanes and Blackstuff,
Good points and taken on board :good:
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#15 Post by Tommygunn »

Blackstuff wrote:
bigfathairybiker wrote:Your first application cannot have any club committee members as a reference.

The references can be anyone you have known for more than two years as long as they are not
family.

That is what I've been told.

Mark
+1 for inital grant.

But then on renewal if you use any of your guns for target shooting one of your referees MUST be the club secretary
Funny, when I renewed a few months back Sussex told me club officials were now excluded as referees on renewals. They accepted my non-shooting referees without issue.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
petedea
Home club or Range: Bisley

#16 Post by petedea »

From all those comments then I'll assume that I haven't gone mad and that the guidance has changed to remove club commity members from the list!

Well it makes me feel better!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Looks like i'll have to re-read the rules come next renewal :roll: I'll not do that til the week beforehand though, otherwise they'll probably have changed by the time i put the forms in! :cool2:
DVC
petedea

#18 Post by petedea »

Well that's the paperwork done and in the post.

Let's see how long it takes - Cambridgeshire Police website says 6 weeks, so hopefully I'll have it in time for some early Christmas shopping!
petedea

#19 Post by petedea »

Blimey, it seems Cambridgeshire are on the ball. I have my visit booked in for later this week.

Best I get that cabinet bolted to the wall!
toffe wrapper

#20 Post by toffe wrapper »

The need for club a official (club sec) to sign form was removed. Which was a good move as how well does a club sec know you and you them.
Your club is still contacted and attendance checked so make sure all you shoots are recorded.

TW