Cabinets - sanity check, please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Cabinets - sanity check, please

#21 Post by meles meles »

They'll have difficult time trying to prove you were in possession...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
FencepostError

#22 Post by FencepostError »

zanes wrote:In brattonsound terminology you want an RL or RD series safe. The higher count ones just get wider, but the depth stays the same.
Hmm, the cabinet I linked to has the same depth (346mm) listed as the RL5 described here: http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/4 ... emier.html.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#23 Post by HALODIN »

I wouldn't worry about the extra weight, because this is also supported by your wall brackets and it isn't that heavy anyway, you're unlikely to have a full ammo safe IMO. How much height do you have before you need to start removing shelves?

An internal safe won't last you very long IMO, I started with this but with storing the bolts and ammo in this internal safe, it soon filled up.

I bought one of these to replace my first internal safe, it's very light and has loads of room.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-LARGE-AMMUN ... 1c2128aefd
FencepostError wrote:I'm somewhat limited on height unless I remove a high shelf and lose a fair amount of other storage space (or move it and lose less).

Also concerned this increases weight on the same footprint on the floor-boards.

A bigger cabinet with a top-lock might be an option, but not sure how much ammunition capacity I'd get/need.
FencepostError

#24 Post by FencepostError »

My new plan (plan is perhaps a strong word) is to buy a Burton GS10: http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/b ... -safe.html

This is significantly deeper than the other cabinets I was looking at and is described as holding 10 scoped rifles. I roughly estimate the top lock capacity as 30-something litres, which I'm hoping should be sufficient initially. It's thin enough in width that I would then have room for another smallish gun cabinet next to it, if I needed more ammunition storage later. (And ultimately, I could then use that cabinet for firearms too and put ammunition cabinets elsewhere in the house if I needed more space for firearms too - though I'm hoping to avoid that.)
How much height do you have before you need to start removing shelves?
Trying to keep it under 1720mm - over that is going to be difficult.

(Also had a look at Buffalo River - I don't really like the decoration to be honest, not that it should matter, I suppose...)
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

Based on my personal experience, you'll get fed up with that little ammo space in your top box, although it's perfect for bolts. I've just measured my Sentry 10 Gun Executive (G1055E) with my ammo safe I listed above on top and it came to 1900mm. Whilst that's above your limit, 1720 would still allow for a large ammo safe on top. Your choice of course.

Yes I didn't like the Buffalo River for the same reason.
FencepostError wrote:Trying to keep it under 1720mm - over that is going to be difficult.

(Also had a look at Buffalo River - I don't really like the decoration to be honest, not that it should matter, I suppose...)
FencepostError

#26 Post by FencepostError »

HALODIN wrote:Based on my personal experience, you'll get fed up with that little ammo space in your top box, although it's perfect for bolts. I've just measured my Sentry 10 Gun Executive (G1055E) with my ammo safe I listed above on top and it came to 1900mm. Whilst that's above your limit, 1720 would still allow for a large ammo safe on top. Your choice of course.
With the Burton or that Sentry 10 gun I could fit another gun cabinet (something like a 3 gun shotgun cabinet) next to it, which I could use for ammo (once I hit that point). Or a smaller safe on top. Or both :) The Sentry is more expensive and I don't like electronic locks, so tending towards the Burton though there do seem to be less in the way of reviews etc :/

My only concern about the space of the top-lock is if on inspection they might say it isn't big enough for the ammo allowance I am (initially) requesting. I shally try to do some sums this evening to see if that's likely to be an issue.
HALODIN

#27 Post by HALODIN »

I wouldn't worry about the size of the safe in terms of your ammo count. As long as it can hold the full allocation of the largest caliber you have, it should be fine, they didn't say anything about mine and my first ammo safe was about the same size as yours.
FencepostError wrote:With the Burton or that Sentry 10 gun I could fit another gun cabinet (something like a 3 gun shotgun cabinet) next to it, which I could use for ammo (once I hit that point). Or a smaller safe on top. Or both :) The Sentry is more expensive and I don't like electronic locks, so tending towards the Burton though there do seem to be less in the way of reviews etc :/

My only concern about the space of the top-lock is if on inspection they might say it isn't big enough for the ammo allowance I am (initially) requesting. I shally try to do some sums this evening to see if that's likely to be an issue.
FencepostError

#28 Post by FencepostError »

HALODIN wrote:I wouldn't worry about the size of the safe in terms of your ammo count. As long as it can hold the full allocation of the largest caliber you have, it should be fine, they didn't say anything about mine and my first ammo safe was about the same size as yours.
Thanks, that's useful to know :)