About to put in my first FAC application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

zanes

Re: About to put in my first FAC application

#21 Post by zanes »

20series wrote:Basically as long as you can provide good reason then the skys the limit, some forces insist on alarms etc when you get to a certain number, in Cambs it's 9.

Put in for as many as you wish just be prepared to answer why do you want X,Y and Z particularly if you want 2 of the same calibre, I don't know PSG but if you differentiate between optics and iron sights then you have good reason for 2.

TBH all the FEO's I've had have been really helpful and have advised accordingly. Remember you have your FAC for 5 years and if you want to add any extras it's currently £26 per variation so put on what you're likely to want in the next 5 years and it won't cost you any extra.

Alan
This man speaketh sense.
I'm currently trying to decide what slots to ask for. I've been advised that 4 slots is 'normal'.
Utter rubbish. I had six on grant (incl mods, which you WILL get if you ask for them) and am now, two and a bit years later, on 14 (3 mods IIRC), and that's not exactly unusual.

I appreciate you're new to this and probably a little afraid of rocking the boat, but if they turn round and say "Well, we'll grant, but we don't like this many slots" you must stand your ground (assuming good reason).

As an aside, according to the guidance, forces really shouldn't have a blanket "once you get this many you MUST have an alarm". In Glos from memory for my situation I was advised that c. 15 firearms (excl mods) would be about the number when they'd like a (non police linked) alarm or if we had a break in they'd want one fitting pronto. I suspect in the middle of Gloucester that might be a significantly smaller number.

What ammo allowances are you thinking of?
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#22 Post by Les »

Some regions - Cheshire, for example - won't allow moderators unless you have approved land to shoot over. Quoting 'health and safety' for indoor target shooting won't work, since everybody is supposed to wear ear defenders anyway. ;)

I have 'heard' that some indoor ranges insist on using moderators, presumably because of complaints from nearby neighbours, but I don't know of any personally. any????
StangGT
Home club or Range: Phoenix

#23 Post by StangGT »

Posted it this morning. 4 slots: 2x S1 shotgun, 1x 9mm rifle, 1 x 5.56/.223 rifle... let's see what happens...
StangGT

#24 Post by StangGT »

Well, still not heard anything back.

Should I give them a call and check they got it? I sent it first class but not recorded... Perhaps a mistake...
SevenSixTwo

#25 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I always send recorded but your milegage may vary. I'd give them a call now.

A month to even acknowledge receipt is ridiculous. A quick "yeah, whatever" email from them takes two seconds.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
StangGT

#26 Post by StangGT »

I rang this morning... All received and being processed, so I need to sit tight and wait for contact...

This waiting is torture :) I have money burning a hole in my bank account that I want to give to a RFD...
SevenSixTwo

#27 Post by SevenSixTwo »

That's not torture. Having slots on your FAC but zero cash to fill them is worse!!! :lol:
FencepostError

#28 Post by FencepostError »

Just to join in: I put in my application last week: 11 slots (10 firearms and 1 moderator). I was going to apply for fewer, but people at my club encouraged me to apply for as many as I could accommodate and justify. Sent via recorded delivery so I know they got it :)

(Also they advised to wait and see if they insist on upgrading my front door security - which I'm wondering about as it's just a Yale-type lock! But I suppose it's not too much bother to have them back to reinspect if it needs doing? The cabinet is located a fair way inside the house.)
SevenSixTwo

#29 Post by SevenSixTwo »

^ An additional x2 British Standard five-lever mortice locks would be advisable (regardless!).
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

About to put in my first FAC application

#30 Post by Swamp Donkey »

SevenSixTwo wrote:That's not torture. Having slots on your FAC but zero cash to fill them is worse!!! :lol:
Even worse, having the slot, and 'almost' enough money. Being £500 shy is a killer !!!! Roll on payday, stuff the bills ;) ;) ;)