Ruger Gunsite Scout

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout

#21 Post by Sandgroper »

Cooper's original idea for a scout rifle was for a 308 or 7mm-08 rifle. He grudging included the 223 Rem as it is the current service ammunition because of it availability, but it deosn't meet his criteria for the ammunition for a scout rifle.

DM, the question is do you want a scout rifle or a carbine for short range, fun shooting?
Having read a couple of Blogs re the Ruger, I have found a possible inconsistency. Ruger has said that the Magazines are specifically made for this rifle at $80 each. They decided against the M14 magazines as apparently they are too inconsistent in quality.
I wouldn't be surprised if all Ruger has done, is make their own M14 magazines.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

I have long been a fan of the "Scout Concept". I actually owned for a number of years a Steyr Scout, with a Leupold Scout Scope and Ching Sling!

The forward mounted scope is as fast as a red dot, bt with a lot more precision, "minute-of-badguy" out to 600 is achieveable and it allows you to use it comfortably with both eyes open. The scout scope is still fitted to my Marlin .44.

It was not "you only NEED one rifle", but "if you could only HAVE one rifle".

I'll have another Scout Rifle one day, but it won't be a Steyr or a Ruger, but a Savage!

Oh and BTW Chrystal, you've got Jeff Cooper way wrong!!!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if all Ruger has done, is make their own M14 magazines.
I've read it discussed on US gun forums that Ruger are using Accuracy International magazines and that the bottom metal is supplied by Badger Ordnance.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandgroper

#24 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:
Sandgroper wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if all Ruger has done, is make their own M14 magazines.
I've read it discussed on US gun forums that Ruger are using Accuracy International magazines and that the bottom metal is supplied by Badger Ordnance.
Fair enough, I was judging on looks alone.
The forward mounted scope is as fast as a red dot, bt with a lot more precision, "minute-of-badguy" out to 600 is achieveable and it allows you to use it comfortably with both eyes open.
On the Ishapore I have 2.5x30 scope and have no problems hitting fig11's @ 400m, which is good enough for me. Like I said before, I like the scout scope, but it's not to everybodies taste.

Some articles to upset some of the more nervous of our military rifle collectors. :lol:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005 ... /index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005 ... /index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/one ... /index.asp (This is the mount fitted to my Ishapore)

Dangermouse

#25 Post by Dangermouse »

I have had a good old look around the bigger / better known UK dealers today.

I was trying to find something similar to this for under a grand and so far have been unable to find anything.

Possible exception was a Steyr AUG in .223 - which although is a good price at the moment, does not appear to be ambidextrous and therefore no good for practical rifle.

The Remington 700 SPS Tactical is the obvious place to start a project, but at around the £700 mark you will still need to add a suitable stock, Picatiney rail, trigger and a magazine system. Both, as we know, will add another £700 pounds to the cost of the build.

I think that if the importers can get this in the country for under a grand they may well have a hot potato on their hands. I have a spare slot for a .308 and I am very interested in hearing more about this rifles capabilities.

Found a few detailed pictures, another report and video here
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... n-308-win/

Interesting to see the muzzle flip in the video. The FPS that the interviewed person mentions, suggests that they are using some hot rounds. I would like to try it with some lower powered rounds to see how it handles.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Given the design and weight (As an example the Steyr Scout is around 4kgs 'scoped) they could be quite lively to shoot but you could easily go to the lower end of loads for accuracy and comfort assuming you will mostly be shooting out to 300m

Regarding the ambidextrous side of things is a bolt action ever truly ambidextrous? Is it worth looking at a very different donor rifle to use as the basis of your own rifle? However if indeed the Ruger did come in at a sensible price which to me is anything sub GBP1000 then the job is done. What is standard Ruger .308 accuracy like?

For Sandgroper, one of the original scout rifles maybe? I had a squint through one a couple of years ago and loved the sight, and the accuracy of a reasonable Kar98 is not in doubt.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#27 Post by Sandgroper »

DM,
I checked the Hornady website and they are most likely shooting 150-155 grain ammunition @2800fps from a full length barrel. Given the Ruger has a 16.5 inch barrel 2600fps is about right. This is a bit faster than the surplus stuff I run through the Ishapore. I hand load 125 gr ammo to 2500fps which is quite pleasant to shoot. The muzzle flip was pretty good, as I was expecting a lot worse. Overall, I'm even more impressed.

You could always go down the milsurp route. Get a sporterised Lee Enfield (or whatever takes your fancy) and turn it into a scout, that way you're not ruining a good milsurp. My Ishapore was already butchered before I turned it into a scout. Plenty of change from a grand. :D
Attachments
Ishy2.jpg

Sandgroper

#28 Post by Sandgroper »

Ovenpaa,
Nice one. Something like that might even overcome my dislike of "cock on opening", as all my rifles are "cock on closing".

Cooper's inspiration apparently came from the 1903 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schönauer and the Winchester 1894.

Sandgroper

#29 Post by Sandgroper »

Given the design and weight (As an example the Steyr Scout is around 4kgs 'scoped) they could be quite lively to shoot but you could easily go to the lower end of loads for accuracy and comfort assuming you will mostly be shooting out to 300m

Regarding the ambidextrous side of things is a bolt action ever truly ambidextrous? Is it worth looking at a very different donor rifle to use as the basis of your own rifle? However if indeed the Ruger did come in at a sensible price which to me is anything sub GBP1000 then the job is done. What is standard Ruger .308 accuracy like?

For Sandgroper, one of the original scout rifles maybe? I had a squint through one a couple of years ago and loved the sight, and the accuracy of a reasonable Kar98 is not in doubt.
Ovenpaa,
Arundel Militaria has one for sale but at £3350, it's well out of my price range. Looks great 'tho. :D
http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/live- ... d_182.html

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#30 Post by Alpha1 »

I own a Mosin nagant with a scout scope on it cheap as chips and shoots great.